2012 5.4 with bad cats. Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badmunky

Reaction score
My 2012 5.4 is throwing cat codes.
We just pulled the O2 sensors to and put a camera in there and the cats are plugged up and falling apart.

They are not cheap to replace.

Any other options that will not cost an arm and a leg?
Was not really planning to put this kind of cash in to this thing right now.
I just had the engine rebuilt in December, as well as a lot of other work done and have not finished paying all that off yet.

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
B

Badmunky

Reaction score
So I found Cats for a reasonable price.
Dealer wanted like 4k to replace the cats and that's just stupid.

Just waiting for FedEx to deliver them. Looks like they lost the left in shipping.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Misfires are one of the quick ways to ruin the cats but it's been three months since engine work. Seems strange, why was the engine rebuilt?

OP
OP
B

Badmunky

Reaction score
Misfires are one of the quick ways to ruin the cats but it's been three months since engine work. Seems strange, why was the engine rebuilt?

Last owner did not understand that engines need oil. They ran it out of oil do to an oil leak and this caused a rod knock.
I had the dealer rebuild the engine and replace the heads, cams, crank shaft, timing system, oil pump, all bearings and seals, several sensors, the fuel injectors, fuel pump assembly, oil pan, and several other things on the vehicle at the same time.
I bought it for cheap and then had all the work done to it because its rust free, never been wrecked, and still looked good even though it was a mechanical disaster.
I have never gotten any miss fire codes since I have owned it.
But I cant speak to what it did when the last owner had it.