2012 Expedition 5.4L randomly shutting off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsbayer

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum, so bare with me.

I have a 2012 Ford Expedition EL Limited.

While driving, any speed, the engine will randomly shut off. It does not display a check engine light, nor have any stored codes.

To fix, I have placed gear shift in neutral, and rolled ignition off/on and usually starts back up after one attempt.

I have noticed, when initially starting the vehicle (or attempting to) sometimes the ignition will roll over, but the engine does not fire. Roll ignition off/on and it fires up.

Battery was tested, and was junk. Replaced, and testing good now. Still having same issue. Fuses and relays were checked and replaced with some new ones, still having same problem.

Kind of scratching my head here. Not a mechanic, but did go to school for it years ago, and can perform more than basic tasks. I'm trying to avoid taking it to dealership because with my luck, the truck will not act up when it is there, and i will waste money.

Thank you in advance for your help, looking forward to your answers, and hoping this issue is not a unicorn.

Josh

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Im no mechanic, but that kind of behavior seems like a short or a computer issue. Both can be hell trying to track down.

In more detail, here’s what I’m thinking:
If it were a mechanical issue, you’d see other issues while driving - knocking, hesitation, rude noises, loss of power, rough idle, etc.
If it were a sensor that was misbehaving enough to shut down the engine, then you would assuredly have a code and a MIL.
So, something is telling your (otherwise healthy) engine to shut down suddenly. That, to me, is either a short or a computer that’s gone insane.

I might investigate the ignition switch first. If there’s something wrong there, it could be “telling” your computer and engine that you turned the key off.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You say no codes. What scanner are you using? Wondering if you are accessing the Ford extended codes.

If the PCM is sensisng loss of comms with certain modules or sensors (or if the PCM itself is having an issue), it will send a "Forced Engine Shutdown" command. The purpose is to kill the engine because it can't control or monitor the throttle.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check over in the F150 forum, look for fuel pump fuse and you will read similiar complaints and hard or no start scenarios. There is a TSB for the F150s that involves relocating the fuse to a different location in the fuse block under the hood and using a larger, but same amperage, fuse. The issue was Ford used a micro fuse and while rated for the correct amps, was too small and the physical socket melts around the fuse. Makes intermittent contact, worse depending on temperature. You can buy the Ford relocation kit on ebay for less than 20 bucks and it takes a half hour to do it taking your time and following the included instructions.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Many scanners will record conditions and give you a "freeze frame" of events. Using that stuff you can see if the fuel flow shut off or the ignition failed. That would be your first step in figuring out this horrible problem. I feel your pain, my friend.