2012 w 150k on it. Engine or Transmission Sputtering around 45-55 uphill under load?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quadzilla200

Reaction score
I bought it last year and bought at extended warranty. The vehicle sputters between 4th and 5th. I took in and they replaced the torque converter, oil seals etc, but I don't think that was the issue, they just wanted to get paid by Ford.
I drove it home doing the same thing. They said when they took it out to test it after fixing he thought it was misfiring under load which isn't covered under warranty. Do these two things feel similar to anyone with experience. It doesn't do it once I'm up in 6th gear at 65 and beyond. I honestly don't know what they found in the transmission that allowed them to fix it, if this was the symptom they felt.

Anybody have any advice. I have a rainy weekend ahead and could do some work in the garage. He used the terms misfire and ignition coils. Are these difficult to replace? or is this not the issue?
Thank You.
I'd trade it in, but I'm not paying these insane prices.

Aggiesrok

Reaction score
There was a recall on transmission for that year, it’s a reprogram. It had some issues of bogging.
I had a 2012 with 156k. I replaced all the coil packs, buying 8 is cheaper than buying 3 or 4. It made a difference and an easy replacement. Should change the plugs at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go out and stomp on it and see if you can get a cylinder misfire code then you have a place to start. Sounds like a COP. If you get the code switch the COP with another and repeat. Let us know!

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go out and stomp on it and see if you can get a cylinder misfire code then you have a place to start. Sounds like a COP. If you get the code switch the COP with another and repeat. Let us know!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Check the plugs and change them if they are worn. A common problem that is relatively easy to fix with good tools. A miss under load commonly acts like a transmission problem. Your mileage is indicative of worn plugs.

Don't replace a coil unless it presents a problem. Plugs are wear items, coils are not.

Aggiesrok

Reaction score
At 150k coils are a wear item.

OP
OP
Q

quadzilla200

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick responses. I will see how it goes this weekend if I can get my hand on these parts.

OP
OP
Q

quadzilla200

Reaction score
Never replaced coils before, but why are some 8 packs around $60 on Amazon and then I look at Autozone and they are $260? Such a huge price difference.I was curious. I plan on doing the plugs

Aggiesrok

Reaction score
Nope. They either work or they don't. Many get 300k plus miles on the original coils.

My point was they start going out near 150k, especially the ones near the firewall, just like the F150’s.