2014 4WD problems galore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yaanufs

Reaction score
So I bought my first 4WD vehicle last year. Replaced my aging 2003 EB 2WD with a 2014 EL Limited 4WD - currently at about 69,000 miles. My previous Expediton was a great vehicle, not much went wrong until age started to take its toll. This new one has been a source of headaches when it comes to the 4WD system.

1. On the rare occasion I'd use 4H there was an obvious groaning when making a turn that just wasn't a good sounding noise. I took it to the Ford dealership for some minor work, asked them to take a look at the 4WD system, and they immediately said there was something amiss with the internals of front differential. I declined their expensive repair work and took it to a trusted local mechanic.

2. Local Mechanic had a look at the front differential and when he opened the drain plug he said the gear oil was full of metal shavings. The ring and pinion were destroyed. His solution was to replace the differential with one from a used Expedition that had less miles. Which he did.

3. New issue appeared. Now when switching from 2H to 4A mode there was the terrible grinding noise. He traced this to the IWE (4WD actuator) on the driver's side, and he replaced that. Grinding noise when engaging 4A mode has now gone.

4. This left the last remaining item, which was a shudder when the steering wheel was turned while pulling away from a stop. It reminded me of clutch plates going bad in a rear differential. Anyway, took it back to the mechanic, and he had a closer look at the Transfer Case. He opened the drain and the fluid that came out was nasty. It was a thick, yucky brown color. So he flushed and replaced the TC fluid. Shudder has now gone away. This is supposed to be a fluid that lasts 150,000 miles before it needs changed if you believe the owners manual.

So I'd say the the current state is that there are no obvious issues in the 4WD system that require a mechanic to look into, but the vehicle doesn't drive quite as smooth when in 4A mode as I'd expect. I might be being paranoid and overly sensitive to the slightest thing now of course.

So I'm wondering if there could be something that I'm missing. I'm not convinced we have found a definitive root cause, but may just be slowly finding out the truck was probably used to tow a lot by the previous owner, maybe he liked to drive around in 4H mode in dry pavement to cause all these issues, and this Expedition has had a harder life than I at first realized. This is a lot of stuff to be going wrong with the front of the drivetrain.

So if anyone has any other suggestions or thoughts, I'd welcome them. Even if it's to say I'm on the right track and there is nothing else really to do.

OP
OP
Y

yaanufs

Reaction score
I can't say for sure that the 4WD system actually works, I'd be like you, assuming it works as there is nothing to tell you it isn't, until you actually need it. I checked the vacuum lines to the 4WD actuators, and they seemed to be good, pulling enough vacuum when asked and releasing when required.

As for the problems I had, I think they are 'solved' for right now. The suspension was a little loose as well, so I decided to replace the shocks, and I also figured I'd change out the ball joints on the front. Well once I was that deep in the taking things apart experience, I just decided to replace the 4WD actuators, the wheel hub/bearings, and anything else I figured might be a wearable part.

The switch from 2H to 4A or 4H is now behaving. I have no shudder or strange noises going on. It just seems to drive nicely now.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you suspect your 4 wheel drive is not working, find a dirt lot with a grade, or beach and crank her up. Just make sure you've got a strap to pull your butt out just in case. Sounds like the t case fluid is lv or long life type. They claim 150k in 6 speed tranny's. I think the new 10 speeder tranny's use it as well, but don't quote me on that.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Y

yaanufs

Reaction score
If you suspect your 4 wheel drive is not working, find a dirt lot with a grade, or beach and crank her up. Just make sure you've got a strap to pull your butt out just in case. Sounds like the t case fluid is lv or long life type. They claim 150k in 6 speed tranny's. I think the new 10 speeder tranny's use it as well, but don't quote me on that.

Any kind of grade is a challenge to find in Houston. It's a tad flat around here.

And yes, the TC fluid is Mercon LV. I'm going to drain and refill a little more frequently than the 150,000 mile suggestion in the manual.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Keep in mind In 4A the hubs will engage but the transfer case does not so you would be spinning the IWE, front diff and drive shaft to the transfer case. I wouldn't expect it to be as smooth as 2 wheel drive.