2014 4x4 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Medic81

Reaction score
Bought a used 2014 Expy. Tested 4x4 when buying by locking it into 4x4 and making a slight turn in pavement to feel it bind up, was some gravel so it slipped a little and I locked it in 4low and 4hi back to 2hi several times with no issue. I towed a trailer today and had to back it into some muddy area. Locked it into 4x4 low and tried to pull the trailer out(5x10 landscape trailer) and I noticed the front would catch and as soon as it had traction it would disengage/re-engage/disengage/re-engage you get the picture it acted more like it was in Auto rather than locked in Low or Hi and Im pretty sure I heard the traction control trying to work even though it showed as off. Dash showed 4x4LOW with traction control off. The passenger tire finally started to dig in and I was able to get the trailer out. Purposely got into some mud and all 4 wheel would spin but if one got traction it would start unlocking from 4x4 like it did when trying to get the trailer out. Again it acted like it was in Auto and not locked into 4x4. There was a sound coming from under the truck about midway, same sound as you'd normally hear when the 4x4 binds on dry pavement plus I could hear traction control working even though it was showing off I'll try to post video tomorrow of what it's doing but anyone have this issue?

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're using a mykey that has been configured to keep TCS active you won't be able to turn it off. Could that be it?

OP
OP
M

Medic81

Reaction score
You know when I went though the options it showed no mykeys active and 4 admin keys active. I'll look again to make sure I read it right. Cycled the 4x4 on and off several times today and no abnormal sounds. Only seems to act up if it's got decent traction and is under load. Which sucks when it's got traction. And I need it to actually pull.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 07 explorer I found out in the mountains that the traction control never really shuts off. It's constantly using the abs to make a poor man's limited slip, I ended up having to pull the abs fuse so I could get enough wheel speed to get out of a snowy trail.

OP
OP
M

Medic81

Reaction score
On my 07 explorer I found out in the mountains that the traction control never really shuts off. It's constantly using the abs to make a poor man's limited slip, I ended up having to pull the abs fuse so I could get enough wheel speed to get out of a snowy trail.
Im going to try to pull the fuse for abs/traction control and see if it changes anything. I was wondering about that. I had a 1999 expedition and never had issues with the 4x4 but it also didn't have any traction control or A4x4.