2014 Expedition EL transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crixus12

Reaction score
hey all!

I’ve watched a few videos and searched the forum and I just want to run this in my head one more time.

My 2014 expedition is at 105k miles and the dealer is adamant that they need to change the transmission fluid (change, not flush), which I don’t Disagree. I am towing a lot this summer (a travel trailer) so I changed the diff fluids last year and a complete tuneup just to avoid surprises.

My question:
I picked up 8 qts of fluid and a filter directly from the ford dealer for about $100 (a lot better then the $500 quotes for them to do it).
I plan on using a hand fluid transfer pump to drain as much as possible from the dipstick point and then drop the pan. I will reuse the ‘reusable’ gasket.

1) will a transfer pump take out enough fluid or will I have a mess regardless when unbolting the pan ? Plan for the worse I assume.

2) do you suggest filling the pan back up and rebolting carefully or installing empty and then filling with a hand pump

3) I can’t really prime the filter since it is open, but do I need to get fluid in the filter prior to running?

Anything I’m missing.
Drain. Drop. Clean. Install. Fill. Simple. Lol.
Thank you all

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
transfer pump is a good idea... i did it the messy way, only spilled a little.

put the pan up empty, no point in trying to balance and risk wasting new fluid

no priming needed. you just gotta get it up to temp, flip thru drive, park, reverse etc (stationary) before you measure fluid level. a rigid J tube works great cuz it holds its shape and hangs well.

muskytom

Reaction score
A bit late to the game on this one but thought I'd share for those yet to do theirs. Just did mine last week on my 2013 Limited and dropped the pan so I could do the filter. At 107k (bought it at ~100k), it looked like watered down motor oil - yes, light black. Not a bad job if you "hinge" the pan with the rear bolts, drain over the front lip of the pan - repeat process for the rear of the pan.

I watched the video too and the rear 4 bolts wear a bear - no matter what combo of wobbles or swivel bit, could not get at it as the exhaust was in the way. 1/4" ratchet and socket let me in there since I couldn't do it as the video showed.

And agreed with no priming putting the empty pan back up so much easier (driveway job).

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just completed this task a few weeks ago as well. My vehicle had around 137K and to my knowledge the fluid had never been changed. I was towing 800 miles, so I figure it was as good a time as any. If you can suck the fluid out before dropping the pan, it will be a cleaner job. I spilled a bunch of fluid during the change. The 1/4 inch ratchet and sockets are highly advisable as well. I think I actually used my swivel socket adapter. An electric ratchet would be helpful as well, since there are many screws. Make sure you loosen the filler bolt first, to ensure you can refill the fluid and to get rid of vacuum on the pan. The filler bolt is right next to the cat, so it can get hot when you're refilling. Overall, I would say it's a relatively straightforward maintenance procedure.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
For working on the ground, buy a plastic mortar mixing box at Home Depot for $6. It's big enough and low enough to catch every drip when removing the pan. I then measure what I take out by pouring into 1 gal jugs. I replace the same amount of fluid, check the level with the dipstick and adjust it if it's not right.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK