2014 Expedition Liftgate Rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AccraBob

Reaction score
I've just noticed today bubbling paint at the bottom edge (exterior and interior) of my 2014 Expedition liftgate. It's got just over 96k miles. I suppose I'll have to take it to a body shop to get cleaned up...anyone else have a problem like this? Water getting into the liftgate? Or just crappy finish on the truck in the first place? Any reason to bring it to a Ford dealer? I do have CSP on it. I want to deal with this before it gets worse. Here are some (non-great) pics.
Rust 1.jpg Rust 2.jpg Rust 3.jpg Rust 4.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The areas you show are not rust, but rather aluminum panel corrosion.

This corrosion has been very common for years on the hoods and tailgates of Expedition models. It developed on the tailgate of my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 before the base warranty expired.

Ford has been aware of this issue for years and chose to ignore it, and not change their manufacturing process to avoid the corrosion.

Jon1985

Reaction score
Welcome to the club that’s been happening since the Second Generation . My buddy has it on his 06 and my 2010 Limited EL has it too I’m Curious If the 4th gens will have it also . It’s an factory Defect In the Painting process it’s the aluminum that has impurities on it causing it to bubble / corrode under the paint. Try not to mess with it you should be fine .

Plati

Reaction score
If you sand the paint off, it stops corroding & looks cool.
Pretty darn shiny though - blinding if the light hits just right!
IMG_0354.JPG

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I literally just sanded the corrosion off and used self etching primer and color matching spray paint from amazon so it would look like one color again. Doesn't look perfect but I'm happy with it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live with it, on mine I just got rid of the super loose stuff and used a ford
black touch up stick. Looks a lot better than the raw aluminum did.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took my Expedition to the dealer yesterday to get a wiper transmission replaced.

While it is is there, I asked that they get the Bodyshop to give me an estimate on getting the hood paint corrosion fixed, as well as some bubbling on the liftgate repaired. They called me back and said that Ford has extended the Corrosion warranty on this truck to five years and that extends it out to Nov 2020. (Note: I have a 2015 Expedition). They followed up with they are going to replace both the hood and liftgate for free.

So I can't beat that. I will follow up and let you know how it works out.

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good info Cyclone. Thanks for posting.

Had the same issue with the corrosion on my rear tailgate when I first purchased my Expy. Local Ford dealership said they wouldn’t be able to do anything (outside of warranty), so I paid a friend of mine to fix it last November. He did a great job, but on my dime.

In hindsight, I should have waited until now, and had Ford fix it at their cost.