2014 Liftgate Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y2KFirehawk

Reaction score
My 2015 had hood and liftgate corrosion. My local Ford dealership put the claim through under the corrosion warranty and repainted the pieces entirely. Being the white platinum metallic (WPM) the keen eye can identify the paint rework... Not to mention all the anger I had with the dealership to get the work done correctly, but I digress.

Long story short, may still be covered under factory corrosion warranty.

Attachments

• Hood-bubble.jpg
    Hood-bubble.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 12

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've found wire brushing the oxidation off the area and repainting it with that Motorcraft PM-13a corrosion stop seems to actually work. The oxidation doesn't come back and the paint doesn't bubble up.

Motorcraft PM13a Pic.jpg

Mikezr

Reaction score
I could be wrong but aren't the hoods and liftgates fiberglass

Western Rider

Reaction score
Hello Group,

I have a nicely equipped, low-mileage (39 K) 2014 XLT version of the Expy that we've owned for about 2-1/2 years. It was a one-owner vehicle, housed in Beaufort, TX. We bought it on-line and had it shipped to our home in Troy, OH. We're very pleased with the vehicle and it is well maintained and garage kept. Today, while performing a thorough cleaning of the vehicle in preparation for a trip next week, I noticed some corrosion on the inside of the lower edge of the liftgate (not noticeable from outside). I was shocked to see this but have learned this evening while searching the archives that it's a common problem on this aluminum part. Fortunately, I have discovered the problem early (I believe). There is one dime-sized spot where the paint has bubbled off and one other similar but smaller spot and I can see a bit of other bubbling under the paint along the inside of the lower edge of the door.

My question: What can I do to arrest the corrosion and prevent it's spread too the outside of the liftgate? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Richard
This is status quo unfortunately, had the same issue with our navigator. The fix was have it refinished every four years to keep it in check. Ford poorly executed this hatch design, it’s a factory for corrosion all by its self. This is not a Ford specific problem however, many auto makers are having the same aluminum panel issues. Just be glad your entire vehicle isn’t made of aluminum. New Ford vehicles will have some interesting corrosion issues after the initial 5 years I think, time will tell.