2015 Expedition with Very Loud Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whenever the outside temperature reaches 90+ the fan blows very loudly. It is noticeable when inside the vehicle but outside it almost sounds more like a jet idling then an expedition.

Is this normal or is it a known issue?

Thanks!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever the outside temperature reaches 90+ the fan blows very loudly. It is noticeable when inside the vehicle but outside it almost sounds more like a jet idling then an expedition.

Thanks!
I have a 17 and I have the same issue. (It's not an issue, it's the way it works) When the temp is around 95 deg F the radiator cooling fan kicks into high speed and really makes a racket but it only lasts a short time and I only really notice it when I'm going slow or stopped. Once I start moving above 35 MPH it slows down or cuts off. I can't tell.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks!

I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4, purchased new.

Last year, when the temperature was about 95 degrees with high humidity, the cooling fans began to roar on mine. It did not do it during the summer of 2015. The vehicle is used strictly for passenger use - no towing or hauling heavy cargo.

I was so concerned (I even had people comment about the excessive noise while getting gas with the engine running) that I took it back to the selling dealer service department.

I was told the noise was normal during very high ambient temperatures (no mention in the owner's manual....). The service department did say there was a TSB to update the HVAC system, so that was done.

This year, the vehicle continues to make the loud roaring noise when the ambient temperature exceeds about 90 degree F. I suspect the vehicle's computer is programmed to turn on the fans for an "extra high / fast" setting during certain times. I have never owned a motor vehicle with electric fans that are as loud as my Expediton when the temperature is hot.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 17 and I have the same issue. (It's not an issue, it's the way it works) When the temp is around 95 deg F the radiator cooling fan kicks into high speed and really makes a racket but it only lasts a short time and I only really notice it when I'm going slow or stopped. Once I start moving above 35 MPH it slows down or cuts off. I can't tell.

They turn off as the air moving across the radiator from your forward motion takes over for the fan. Long gone are the days of belt/crankshaft fans. With high ambient temps, the radiator doesn't do anything helpful without airflow, so the fans are programmed to 'scream' until the environment under the hood changes to a normal running mode.

Add in the tranny cooling, the AC condensor (some with two evaporators....rear cooling), the PS cooler, aux tranny and oil coolers (especially now with turbo and twin turbos), and you've got a nasty heat load building in the engine.

As long as the temp stays normal on the dash, I don't care what the fans sound like. Just turn up the radio.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well look at the bright side, you only hear the racket, and don't feel the heat making it's way into the cabin. Ever drive an ac cobra with a 427 side oiler motor on a hot day? Not fun. I used to have a Yamaha vmax back in the early 90's, that used to run right at the edge of the temp guage on warm days, in stop and go traffic. The fan kept kicking on, blowing all that heat towards me. Again not fun on a 90 degree plus day. Remember in engines and electronics, heat is the enemy! A little noise on a hot day is a trade off for a truck that makes it to 300k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They turn off as the air moving across the radiator from your forward motion takes over for the fan. Long gone are the days of belt/crankshaft fans. With high ambient temps, the radiator doesn't do anything helpful without airflow, so the fans are programmed to 'scream' until the environment under the hood changes to a normal running mode.

Add in the tranny cooling, the AC condensor (some with two evaporators....rear cooling), the PS cooler, aux tranny and oil coolers (especially now with turbo and twin turbos), and you've got a nasty heat load building in the engine.

As long as the temp stays normal on the dash, I don't care what the fans sound like. Just turn up the radio.
Bob, I'm the same way it's normal and I really don't have an issue with it I was just trying to convey that what the OP was describing was normal.

Qatarguy

Reaction score
2011 Expedition. Same problem- Very loud fan noise. Very noticeable for me because during the summer, its over 100 most days out in this part of the world. Not a problem during the cooler days when it is either off or perhaps running at low speed

MADEXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dang, above 90 degrees here in Virginia = loud fan. Didn't notice until a few days ago...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooling fan on my 2007 5.4L is roaring today at idle with the high heat, totally normal.

Last edited: