2015 Expy 3.5 EB RWD- Bump/Clunk/Tud Sound when Shifting 4th-5th

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonxbk

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not sure if this issue has been tackled before. I've searched the web a lot of times already trying to find a solution or answer.

I have a 2015 Expedition 3.5 eco and 6 speed tranny. I have been experiencing this clunk/bump/tud sound when driving 30-40 mph. It happens almost everytime it upshifts from 4th to 5th gear on city driving. The problem seem to happen when the engine has little load on it/when I only feather the throttle.

I don't feel it on the freeway. And there are times i hear a sound from getting off from a stop or when slowing down to make a turn and accelerating afterwards.

The sound is not noticeable when you have the radio on. At first I thought I was just hitting bumps and the suspension was making the bump/clunk sound.

Its been driving me nuts for weeks now. Went to a ford dealer, they did an update on the PCM but the problem still persists.

I had the transmission fluid changed a couple days ago with the same dealer and the clunk/bump/tud sound is still there.

They have test driven the car maybe 4 times in my 4 visits to the dealer and all they say, they can't hear the bump sound when shifting. The next time i go there i'll drive with them.

Still not sure if its a tranny or axle or U-joint issue or maybe it's normal????

Please help. thank you.

2008ExpeditionEL

Reaction score
Mine is in the shop now for the same issue. They think it could be fixed with a torque converter valve replacement. Otherwise it might be a new transmission. I'm taking the risk on the cheaper fix. The mechanic who used to work for Ford said when this came up under warrantee cars, they would usually try the valve first as it would fix it half the time. The others had to get the transmission replaced.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Typical new style auto mechanics. Nobody knows how to diagnose, troubleshoot or really fix anything all they do is throw Parts at it or replace entire assemblies. That's why things cost so much nowadays. Doesn't matter when you're under warranty but gosh it's annoying.

2008ExpeditionEL

Reaction score
Update to my car. The Ford guy nailed it and the odds were in my favor. It is again running smoothly after replacing the valve for the torque converter.

Glad the cheaper fix worked.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what valve is this. A solenoid or a pressure regulator valve??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360