2015 Ford Expedition Mid-Cycle Enhancement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New info about the upcoming 2015 Ford Expedition has come to light in the past weeks, so I thought I would update you all on what is going on with the vehicle. If you read other car websites or magazines then some of you may already know about some of this, but if not, then here is your FYI for the week.

The Expedition is getting heavily updated for 2014 (will be marketed as a 2015 model for the 2015 model year) and should go on sale in late 2014, around August or September. Somewhere along that timeframe. It may go on sale earlier than August if development is not delayed.

The update is a "MCE" or Mid-Cycle Enhancement, so the Expedition will not be all-new. The MCE was scheduled for a 2012 model year release, but was paused to allow for Ford to start work on the new F-150, and also to see what the market was going to do.

It will be getting a new engine, the EcoBoost V-6. A 10-speed 10R80 manumatic gearbox is also on its way (sooner or later), and will replace the current 6-speed 6R80 automatic gearbox. Expect the 2015 Expedition to launch with the current 6-speed unit, with the 10-gear unit showing up later on.

a6c18e294654727.jpg 0815ea294654789.jpg 402f5e294654847.jpg

The nip/tuck will include a facelift with new grille, headlamps with HID projectors, and a new set of wheels which will top out with 22-inch six-spoke aluminium-alloys.

e918ce294654675.jpg e59506294654944.jpg

The changes are more than skin deep. You’ll notice some structural engineering changes to the frame, with additional cross-members and revised suspension components. There are also air-deflectors aft of the front wheels on some of the prototypes seen.

A revised interior with upgraded materials, MyFord Touch infotainment system, push-button engine ignition, intelligent access, revised audio and climate controls, and a premium Sony surround-sound stereo system will be among the numerous interior additions.

The TowCommand paddle controls will be repositioned along with the four-wheel drive selector dial.

Last edited:

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Coyote will probably be fun. It'd be even better if they offered the 6.2! I don't really like the Eco-Boost v6, it sounds terrible, and I do not like the power delivery. I much prefer a naturally aspirated v8. This quote seems to be a pretty common representation of the Eco-Boost v6 from what my friends who owned them say almost the same thing.

" I got the 5.0 this time after a bad experience with the Ecoboost. Buyer beware, the Ecoboost has issues with intercooler condensation causing a misfire on the highway and even after I had the redesigned intercooler installed, it still had condensation issues. After the intercooler upgrade, I found that the new intercooler robbed 13% of my power and torque confirmed by a dyno. Mine also had warped driver and passenger exhaust manifolds, as well as less than stellar MPG. I ADORE my 5.0 and encourage all buyers to give it a serious look. Mine gets about 2 MPG better than the Eco and it's not even broken in yet. "

OP
OP
L

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The automatic full-time ControlTrac four-wheel drive system with two-speed dual range BorgWarner 44-Series 4417 transfer case and intelligent center multi-disc differential will pretty much be carried over from previous years. There may be some software tweaking, but nothing major.

The four-wheel electronic traction control system (simulates dual front and rear differential locks by ABS "brake locking" the differentials) will be reprogrammed to take into account the torque delivery differences in the new engines.

Don’t expect Terrain Management like in the Explorer.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The automatic full-time ControlTrac four-wheel drive system with two-speed dual range BorgWarner 44-Series 4417 transfer case and intelligent center multi-disc differential will pretty much be carried over from previous years. There may be some software tweaking, but nothing major.

The four-wheel electronic traction control system (simulates dual front and rear differential locks by ABS "brake locking" the differentials) will be reprogrammed to take into account the torque delivery differences in the new engines.

Don’t expect Terrain Management like in the Explorer.

I am glad that they are keeping the traditional 4x4 transfer case and not relying on the terrain management. I know that terrain management systems can be effective, I just do not like them.

OP
OP
L

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No 5.4? So sad.

Yes, the 5.4 Triton V-8 will be gone, but certainly not forgotten. Its technology, engineering, and durability (which it shared with the 4.6 Triton V-8) lives on in the 5.0 Coyote V-8.

In-fact, the 5.0 Coyote V-8 is essentially a bored-and-stroked 4.6 Triton V-8, which was offered in the Expedition from 1997 to 2004. So think of it as the 4.6 is back, but with more muscle than the 5.4.

However, the Expedition will not be getting the 5.0 Coyote V-8, instead the 5.4 Triton V-8 will be replaced by the 3.5 EcoBoost V-6.

The 10-speed 10R80 manumatic transmission will make good use of the 3.5’s torque (430 lb-ft) with its ultra low first, second, and third gearing ratios. The Expedition should launch like a rhino on crack.

I am glad that they are keeping the traditional 4x4 transfer case and not relying on the terrain management. I know that terrain management systems can be effective, I just do not like them.

The Expy may get Hill Ascent Assist (HAA) and Hill Descent Control (HDC), but at this point, it’s too early to tell. There are command buttons on the dash above the TowCommand paddles, which appear to have the HDC icon on them, but again, not defined enough to be 100 percent sure.

Last edited: