2015 Transmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new and never wrecked. Although it has the HD towing package, I have never towed with it or carried heavy cargo. The vehicle has been used strictly as a passenger vehicle.

At 75,*** miles - I had the transmission fluid and filter changed at my Ford dealer (not a flush). The vehicle has been maintained meticulously by me - or at the Ford dealer.

At 92,*** miles - the vehicle began jerking and shuddering when driving in 2WD at a constant speed, and then trying to accelerate gently, or when driving up a grade.

Today I took it to the Ford dealer for an appointment, and the technician drove the vehicle to diagnose my complaint. While the technician was driving it, the transmission locked-up and went to limp-mode.

Based upon transmission codes set (I don’t know the codes), the technician said a new transmission would have to be installed. I left the vehicle and it will be ordered.

I have the Ford Premium Care extended warranty, so a $6,000+ repair will cost me a $100 deductible - and the dealer will supply a rental beginning Monday (part of the warranty coverage).

Although the vehicle will be repaired, I’m disappointed with the transmission failure - especially given the vehicles usage and prior transmission maintenance.

Anyone else had this type of transmission failure? Any thoughts?

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, sorry to hear that. Those transmissions usually last a very long time, even when used pretty hard. Its tough when you feel a shudder from an auto trans and not knowing what faults the technician was able to see. Could be something simple but most likely not if that well maintained. If it had metal throughout the fluid and faults (just speculating) it might be best they went the route of a new transmission knowing you had the extended care so it doesn't return and good for several thousand miles more. Fixing automatics is a very interesting art. Sometimes it may only have one fault and seem simple but when you get inside the case could be damaged or cracked and then a whole unit is needed. Its tough to tell but think you just got the short end of the stick on this trans and luckily had coverage and should be good for a long time after this. Check with the dealer if there is a parts Warranty on the trans after its replaced. Some manufacturers do offer a 1 or 2 year unlimited mileage parts Warranty and hopefully that gives some piece of mind.

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, sorry to hear that. Those transmissions usually last a very long time, even when used pretty hard. Its tough when you feel a shudder from an auto trans and not knowing what faults the technician was able to see. Could be something simple but most likely not if that well maintained. If it had metal throughout the fluid and faults (just speculating) it might be best they went the route of a new transmission knowing you had the extended care so it doesn't return and good for several thousand miles more. Fixing automatics is a very interesting art. Sometimes it may only have one fault and seem simple but when you get inside the case could be damaged or cracked and then a whole unit is needed. Its tough to tell but think you just got the short end of the stick on this trans and luckily had coverage and should be good for a long time after this. Check with the dealer if there is a parts Warranty on the trans after its replaced. Some manufacturers do offer a 1 or 2 year unlimited mileage parts Warranty and hopefully that gives some piece of mind.

The technician came out and spoke with me after he drove it and retrieved the transmission codes (and the transmission locked-up on him). He said the codes indicated a “total failure”. He also said transmission would be replaced as a new assembly, and not rebuilt.

I’ve never had an automatic transmission fail, and especially one that was rated to tow 9,000 pounds (but was never used to tow).

Since I have used the vehicle for passenger use, and even had the transmission fluid and filter change early at the dealership, I was very frustrated with the failure.

At least I’ll end up with a new transmission for $100, due to the extended warranty I had purchased. I will talk to them about any warranty included with the new unit. I have seen advertising for GM (and maybe Ford?) that they cover the new transmissions for 3-years or 36,000 miles.

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very unusual, White. It's a robust transmission. But things do fail. Just luck sometimes.

Since new, the transmission shifted very smoothly - probably the smoothest shifting automatic transmission I have ever had in a vehicle.

It took 8 days to get the vehicle into the dealership for the first available appointment. I continued to drive the vehicle locally.

Several days before it began the shuddering, I noticed a slightly rough shift up and down between 4th and 5th gear while in 2WD - which I thought was temporary. It wasn’t.

Ironically, the transmission failed and went into limp mode while the technician was driving it. At least I wasn’t stranded prior to the appointment, especially with my grandchildren.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As others have said, and I hate to offer no real solution, but these transmissions are generally very sound. I picked up my '07 in April 2017 when the odometer had 218,000 miles on it. The shifting was poor, so I sent in a sample to Blackstone when I changed the fluid and filter. The report showed that this appeared to be the original factory fill. Over the next couple of months I changed the fluid again and again, each time showing a drop in the metals by roughly 33% and a greatly improved shift. I've done roughly 5 or 6 fluid changes (plus filter) over the past 5 years and this abused transmission is purring like a kitten (knock on wood). Wear metals are back to normal, although it's hard to say what damage may have been done by the abrasive metals prior to 2017.

Old Guy

Reaction score
Hey, if you have the warranty, and they are paying for it, don't kick about it. I bought a new Torino back in 1969. In 1972, with 51K miles it refused to do anything but locked up in 2nd gear. Of course, the warranty was over by a month. The dealer fixed it under warranty. Yes, I did have the fluids changed at teh service interval, as my cousin owned a transmission shop. He was surprised as the tranny was a C6 which were thought of a bulletproof. They are made by people....

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that's unusual. What usually happens is that whatever your complaint, it doesn't rear its ugly head when a tech is driving it.

I had to wait 8 days to get the vehicle in. When I took it in, I explained what it was doing to the service advisor.

He asked if I’d ride with the technician, if the he was unable to feel the shuddering. I said yes, and waited in the customer lounge.

The technician came to speak with me in about 45 minutes, and told there was “bad news” - that he drove it and it failed while driving (and went to limp mode).

No “unable to duplicate” on this visit.

Herby

Reaction score
How often has the transmission been changed prior to the failure? I have a 2007 Expedition and recommended fluid changes are at 20k miles.