2016 / 2017 Sync 3.4 Success?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have read this thread from beginning to end. Quite an interesting one. I 'used' to be computer literate but being in my 70's now I am not so sure anymore?? With some of the difficulties some of the folks were having admittedly it makes me a tad gun shy. I saw that one needed 3 flash drives ...... then it seemed that one would do.......???? so not sure how many flash drives one needs? I have Sirus/XM road assist(not sure that is the real name) but it warns me of road problems and even will give me 'alternate' route to use/take->this option was included in my purchase of the vehicle in 2017; it's good for 5 years. I am concerned that this CyanLab update might do away with that option? So, I guess if I have some trepidation and concerns I should not attempt? but it does sound intriguing.............

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Three 32g flash drives cost me less than $20 back when this started. I figured they'd be one time use for this project. Having and following the instructions made this easy with no glitches. As for Sirus/XM road assist I've no clue if I have it on my '17. I do have Sirus music.

Ford sent out emails last week announcing a $100-$150 upgrade available for the navigation system. Same 0118 maps that are in this one.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The new/current CyanLabs downloads include the 19 Maps, not 18 now.

3 drives makes it easier. Can be done with one, but lots of deleting and copying.

Go to CyanLabs.net, download the new installer, answer the questions it asks and you will be good to go.

This has zero affect on your Sirius subscriptions including the TravelLink subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I will not pay for a map update. I have a Garmin with free updates for life. I personally feel this is a better fit for me. I can put the Garmin at eye level instead of having to look down and I can move the Garmin to my Ford F150 easily. Just my opinion.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Garmin still sits on top of my dashboard despite the presence of the navigation system in my '17. Maps get updated several times a year. When the redundant systems disagree I take the Garmin's route.

But the upgrades are free using the CyanLabs updates.

The CyanLabs software is downloading in the background. Now I gotta figure out how to just update the maps. I'm already on 3.4-19274 with the 0118 maps.

-- Chuck

Chris Alcala

Reaction score
Loki, is there an advantage to go from 19200 to the latest version? I have a factory APIM from a mustang with 3.4 19200.

also, any insight on using small regions of nav on a non nav unit?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Garmin still sits on top of my dashboard despite the presence of the navigation system in my '17. Maps get updated several times a year. When the redundant systems disagree I take the Garmin's route.

But the upgrades are free using the CyanLabs updates.

The CyanLabs software is downloading in the background. Now I gotta figure out how to just update the maps. I'm already on 3.4-19274 with the 0118 maps.

-- Chuck

Chuck, You can’t. In order to update the Maps you have to do the format step. It has to do with how the Maps are licensed. Since you are running 19274, you have to downgrade to 19200, then run the format tool, then load the newest.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loki, is there an advantage to go from 19200 to the latest version? I have a factory APIM from a mustang with 3.4 19200.

also, any insight on using small regions of nav on a non nav unit?

You would get the new Maps(19). Since you are on 19200, you just need format, then newest install.

20136 is stable. At least that I have seen so far.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chuck, You can’t. In order to update the Maps you have to do the format step. It has to do with how the Maps are licensed. Since you are running 19274, you have to downgrade to 19200, then run the format tool, then load the newest.
Thanks.

Looks like a lot of time in a hot truck at 90°F. :)

1. Download and install 19200.
2. Download and install 20136.

Gotta wait for a cool morning.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks.

Looks like a lot of time in a hot truck at 90°F. :)

1. Download and install 19200.
2. Download and install 20136.

Gotta wait for a cool morning.

-- Chuck

True.

I let it run. The downgrade takes 10 minutes. Format 1-2, but the install of 20136 with 19 Maps takes a bit.