2016 / 2017 Sync 3.4 Success?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slenser

Reaction score
Like Chuck said. There's only 1 USB drive needed now. It takes a few minutes, but once it says to take the flash drive out, you're done!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like Chuck said. There's only 1 USB drive needed now. It takes a few minutes, but once it says to take the flash drive out, you're done!

Only 1 is required if you are below 3.4 19274. If that level or above, 2 is the easier method. The 2nd one can be 2GB if you want, because the downgrade install is an OS load, not Maps also, so it takes MUCH less space.

The reason a larger than 16GB helps, is swap space during the unpacking of the data as part of the install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rayjyee1

Reaction score
Darn! Tried install this morning, but not successful. Screen went blank and nothing else happen. Using a PNY 32GB USB 3.0 drive. I recall someone earlier saying use a 2.0 vs. 3.0 USB. Maybe I'm was just to impatient and pulled out the USB too early. When it is updating, do you see a screen saying that updating is in progress? One other observation, it took a long time for the autoloader to download files and upload to the USB. Is that normal. Right now all I have is a blank screen. Any suggestions as to next steps?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Darn! Tried install this morning, but not successful. Screen went blank and nothing else happen. Using a PNY 32GB USB 3.0 drive. I recall someone earlier saying use a 2.0 vs. 3.0 USB. Maybe I'm was just to impatient and pulled out the USB too early. When it is updating, do you see a screen saying that updating is in progress? One other observation, it took a long time for the autoloader to download files and upload to the USB. Is that normal. Right now all I have is a blank screen. Any suggestions as to next steps?

Yes you will see a status.

When you plugged in the drive and started the Expy, did you get anything? At what point did it go blank and stop? How long before you removed the drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rayjyee1

Reaction score
It went blank pretty quick, less than a minute after insertion. Left it in for 10 minutes, it was still blank. I used Cyanlabs 2.10.0 downloader which downloaded 2.1.0.5. I tired restarting/rebooting a couple of time.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
It takes about 45 minutes to update the system. 10 minutes ain't enough time.

I started with a newly formatted 32G USB drive and pulled it from the PC when instructed, then plugged it in the lower socket in the center console with the truck already running. Chip was detected and the upgrade started with no intervention from me. Came back 40 minutes later and it was done.

Did you get any screens like this?

IMG_5899[1].JPG

-- Chuck

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Not sure a Ford Dealer is gonna be real compassionate seeing the CyanLabs upgrade there when they want $150 or more for the upgrade. :)

Try it again from the beginning with a freshly formatted USB drive in the bottom port inside the console between the seats. (That's what worked for me.) And give it at least 45 minutes with the engine running. Upgrade from 2.x may take longer than we're predicting. As noted I didn't watch the whole install, just let it run while I did other chores and checked periodically. The screen could have been blank a lot, I wasn't there all the time.

On another note: Be certain you have the complete download. As a test earlier this afternoon I took a newly formatted USB drive and did the update download via the CyanLabs software. After only a partial minute my screen changed from the download software page to a file listing of my USB drive showing the download files were there. It was a lie though, just the directories were on the card. The full download from the PC to USB took 53 minutes on my Gigabyte connection so don't interrupt that part of the process either.

-- Chuck

Last edited:

adwmac6

Reaction score
Ive read this entire thread (and others) a couple of times, and I am confused.

Ive read it will, and it wont, work for me.

I have a 2015 with the older Sync2 (MyFord Touch) with Nav. I know that the usb hub would have to be swapped out to a 2017 Expedition (HC3Z-19A387-B).
But is it as simple as also purchasing and installing a Sync 3 unit out of a 2016+ Expedition, and then updating?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360