2016 EL XLT with 202A pkg vs 2018 max Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElliottM

Reaction score
Yes, another one of these threads. :) I searched and didn't see one quite like this, so here goes.

We own a 2016 EL XLT with the 202A pkg (and power moonroof and nav), bought used in May 2017 with about 32k miles and now with about 105k miles. We are on vacation on the big island of Hawaii and had reserved a minivan rental, but when the person at the counter asked if we’d be ok with an Expedition instead, I jumped at the chance. They provided us a 2018 Max Limited, and here are my thoughts/comments/feedback in driving the 2018 and comparing it to our 2016:

• I’ll start by saying I really like our 2016 and have very few complaints. After driving the 2018 for over a week, it seems like it could well be the replacement when we are ready to upgrade.
  • I have to admit that I like the esthetics of the ’18. I am someone who actually prefers that the new model looks a little less truck-like.
  • Love the 10-speed automatic. Without really thinking about it I noticed the shifts to be smoother and the engine seems to work a little easier.
  • Whoever decided the new models needed the shifter knob should be fired, IMHO. I am getting used to it but hate it.
  • I like the drive mode selections but haven’t really played with them. Any feedback on how well each mode works? Does Economy really have a noticeable impact on MPG? Definitely curious about the modes for adverse conditions like mud and snow driving.
  • I like how the cooled seats (and assume heated as well, didn’t need them here in Hawaii) retain the setting last used. I wish the ’16 did that. Is that a Limited feature?
  • The power running boards seemed like a gimmick to me at first but learning to love them.
  • There is a rattle coming from the dash area on the ’18 that I don’t have in my vehicle. Are others experiencing this rattle? It would drive me nuts and would deter me from the new models if it’s a common issue. It’s a deeper sound (lower in frequency) like it’s something larger, not smaller.
  • Love the big sunroof on the ’18. So much bigger than the one on our ’16. Very cool.
  • The rear hatch has a delayed close on our ’16, guessing due to the close button being inside the cargo area. I really like the delay – the hatch on the ’18 starts moving almost immediately and got me once, as I was expecting a similar delay. I’m not a fan of the close button getting moved to the hatch itself, but that seems to be pretty standard with most vehicles.
  • It’s a little thing, but I was happy to see the USB ports moved up where they are in front of the hated shifter knob, versus in the center console storage bin on the ’16.
  • The sliding second row seats are appreciated over the folding seats in our ’16.
  • Maybe it’s just me, but the ’18 feels to drive a bit smaller. However, to me the front end, especially the corners, seem to be harder to locate. Thankfully the front sensors help – we have rear-only on our ’16.
  • I’m not sure why, but I realized I am having a harder time backing into spaces with the ’18. This is second nature to me with our ’16. It seems like the backup camera system sensitivity and the displayed guides are different. Could be just me.
  • We’ve been seeing a lot of rental Expeditions on the island. It got me to thinking about how these are resold, as our ’16 was a rental fleet vehicle. It seems a little unlikely there is enough demand to sell all of these here on the island when they are retired from the rental fleet. Does anyone know if these vehicles are shipped back to the mainland?

Thanks for letting me share this – I love this forum and the great discussions. We are looking ahead to when we replace the ’16 and are mostly sold on the experience driving the ’18, so we will continue to monitor feedback to help with our decision.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  • Whoever decided the new models needed the shifter knob should be fired, IMHO. I am getting used to it but hate it.
  • I like the drive mode selections but haven’t really played with them. Any feedback on how well each mode works? Does Economy really have a noticeable impact on MPG?
I still hate it, twisting a dial left or right doesn't translate well into forward rear for me and many times I end up knocking it into park instead of reverse.

Economy? well it depends on your right foot control, it really softens the throttle response which would help aggressive right footers increase MPG and it heads for higher gears faster and holds them longer but again a gentle use of right foot gets you that anyway.

For me the economy setting makes no noticeable difference, for my wife? huge difference. Typically I get 3 l/100km better mpg than her daily commuting across a range of cars

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you better hang onto that 2016 as long as you can. Change is not good for you, at least on the Expedition. All manufactures change things. I remember when I switched from iPhone 4 to 5, I didn't like the smaller keyboard on the 5. Sometimes designers just don't know when to leave a good thing alone.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Y
We own a 2016 EL XLT ... bought used in May 2017 with about 32k miles and now with about 105k miles.

Apx 73K miles in apx. 78 weeks? Thats pushing 50K miles a year.

All 2016 vs. 2018 aside, where and how are you driving this much?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great truck, im most likely upgrading to a nav, its a more complete product unless the refreshed model comes out sooner.

OP
OP
E

ElliottM

Reaction score
I still hate it, twisting a dial left or right doesn't translate well into forward rear for me and many times I end up knocking it into park instead of reverse.

Economy? well it depends on your right foot control, it really softens the throttle response which would help aggressive right footers increase MPG and it heads for higher gears faster and holds them longer but again a gentle use of right foot gets you that anyway.

For me the economy setting makes no noticeable difference, for my wife? huge difference. Typically I get 3 l/100km better mpg than her daily commuting across a range of cars

Thanks for the input, John. I'm relieved (can't say happy) to learn that I'm not the only person who hates the shift knob.

I totally concur with the statement on economy. I know what I can do to get more MPGs out of our '16, I just typically choose to do otherwise. :)

OP
OP
E

ElliottM

Reaction score
Sounds like you better hang onto that 2016 as long as you can. Change is not good for you, at least on the Expedition. All manufactures change things. I remember when I switched from iPhone 4 to 5, I didn't like the smaller keyboard on the 5. Sometimes designers just don't know when to leave a good thing alone.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
LOL, Moose. I spent over 30 years in the tech industry. so I've been an agent of change in my career (my apologies to all) - no fear of change in me. But we all know there is change to improve things and change for change's sake...

OP
OP
E

ElliottM

Reaction score
Apx 73K miles in apx. 78 weeks? Thats pushing 50K miles a year.

All 2016 vs. 2018 aside, where and how are you driving this much?
Howdy Flex. Yes, I put a lot of miles on the 2016. It is my work vehicle, and I own a business that provides personal transportation (weddings, winery tours, airport transportation, etc.) plus we do restaurant meal delivery (similar to Uber Eats, etc). When I launched the delivery business I was the primary driver. Subsequently the Expy rarely sits still. If anything I am not driving it as much - I used to do about 6k miles per month but am down to "only" about 4k per month now. I have a brand new set of tires sitting in the garage, and the last set went on just one year ago. Definitely getting my money's worth from the '16 as I drive the wheels off it.

OP
OP
E

ElliottM

Reaction score
Great truck, im most likely upgrading to a nav, its a more complete product unless the refreshed model comes out sooner.

I need to look at the Nav myself. However, I will not buy new and need to find a good 1-2 year old unit that still has a lot of life left in it. I don't know how often the Navs show up like that on the used car market.