2016 Exp - Replacing Battery Clamp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was doing some under hood tinkering and cleaning and.....uh oh.

20180922_204022390_iOS.jpg

Then I noticed this:

20180922_204040983_iOS.jpg

Moisture on top of the battery in an otherwise bone-dry engine compartment. Pretty sure its acid, but the level in the cells is uniform and looks normal.

I don't think I've seen corrosion that color of blue before. Its usually white.

OP
OP
pcmpete

pcmpete

Reaction score
Wow- that is a lot of corrosion. Have never seen it that bad before. I wonder if your Phoenix temps contribute to the issue?
It does get quit warm here in the summer, I use my Exp for work and do a lot of driving and idleing with A/C on max. On my last two cars/trucks my batteries typically only last about one year. But I have never had corrosion like this about.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are going to uncrimp and reuse the cable, great....but do yourself a favor. First sand and flux the exposed wires, then put a wet rag on the insulated portion of the cable before soldering the exposed wire.....you are tinning it, not soldering to anything. Once you have a nice tight bundle of solder-coated wires, the connection will be much more solid. We do it all the time on the bikes electrical systems which tend to be rather weak. Anyone hear of Lucas Electrics??

When you absolutely need the best reasonably cost connection, tin them.....

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeff's got a good one. On top of that use the battery felt washers and above all else maintain the top part of battery. Keep it clean wipe it down, Some like my first edition never corrode, i got lucky I guess, some are horrible. Keep the top of battery clean and dry, and guys/girls if you've got removable caps please service them. That's why they come off. Yes some batteries are still serviceable. If your getting corrosion beyond normal, you've got a leaky positive/negative terminal.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk