2016 Expedition EL check charging system warnings 2 alternators later...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Nope it has gotten worse. Now the techs need to know not only the product they need an understanding of electronics and computer operation. Most hate it and do what the scanners tell them - right or wrong. "But the parts were bad anyway..."
Yeah its gotten much worse. Back in the day either you had 12v or you didn't. Now everything in Canbus or pulse width modulation. How many mechanics know what an oscilloscope is or how to use it? More don't than do and its pretty much required for electrical issues on new vehicles

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealers aren't paying for their techs to go to school like they need to. In a lot if cases you've got kids right out of wyotech, or other automotive school, with just the basics under their belt. Too many shops teach the tech on the job. That's fine as long as the training tech is at the top of his field. In a lot of cases their not. New vehicles are in a different league than even 10-15 years ago. Makes you wonder how complex they'll be in another 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Gixer you must be an old fart like myself if you know what pwm is.
Percent on time? Duty cycle? What the hell is that?
I'm only 34 but I do hvac and ive run into all kinds of stuff including PWM.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm only 34 but I do hvac and ive run into all kinds of stuff including PWM.

I worked in HVAC for 35 years. I worked for York International for almost 13 in various positions from Technical Service and training to marketing before it was bought by JCI, and I worked at WaterFurnace as director of marketing before going to marketing consulting.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I worked in HVAC for 35 years. I worked for York International for almost 13 in various positions from Technical Service and training to marketing before it was bought by JCI, and I worked at WaterFurnace as director of marketing before going to marketing consulting.

My company sells a ton of York/JCI. We also use a good amout of water furnace geothermal heat pumps. Geothermal is the big thing around here now

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope it has gotten worse. Now the techs need to know not only the product they need an understanding of electronics and computer operation. Most hate it and do what the scanners tell them - right or wrong. "But the parts were bad anyway..."

We've traded poor design and manufacturing of simple cars for well-designed, well-manufactured but incredibly complex cars. Personally, I prefer a car I can diagnose by sound and fix with basic tools and moderate mechanical skills. But, they don't sell the car I want anymore.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure they do. Just dig through auctions, pay super high prices, and find that 1950-1980 car or truck. I saw 5 of them at Barrett/Jackson auction last Saturday. Problem is they start at $80,000 and up. First time you got a scratch or ding, you'd want to cry. Not to mention finding parts for it. Too bad we couldn't buy those thousands of unsold cars that the manufacturer leaves out in the huge lots just to die. Unfortunately we have to move on, or drive an old car/truck, with no modern conveniences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What was the fix for the OPs problem? I have an 09 and my charging system light came on. I found that even though I installed a new battery less than a year ago, my positive post was corroded. I cleaned the post and clamp and the problem went away. I would like to know if OP was a simple fix too...