2016 Expedition randomly shuts down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

own1bigtruck

Reaction score
Need some help as I am at a loss. Here is the back story. My expedition currently has 59855 miles on it. For the last three weeks it had been randomly bucking hard while driving. No codes, just would randomly buck hard like you had driven over something then keep going. It was due a state inspection, but threw a code for Bank 2 sensor 2. I replaced all four O2 sensors. Cleared the codes and went to get the inspection (NY checks the emissions). Said it wasn't ready for inspection due to all systems being back online after clearing the codes. On the way back home it threw codes for P0420 and P0430. Took it to the dealer for diagnosis/repair/inspection. They said both catalytic converters were bad and they were not available. I drove it back to my house while they "tried" to locate parts. On the way back to the house it bucked hard, stuttered a bit then died. It took 4 start cycles before it finally restarted. Continued to drive home and it died again 3/4 of the way into the garage. Three start cycles and it restarted and pulled the rest of the way in. The next day I located the cats and went to get them the next day. By Sunday afternoon I had replaced them, cleared the codes and took it on a test drive to get all of the systems ready for emissions testing. Everything went fine. This morning on the way to get the state inspection, it bucked and stuttered a couple of times and then died again. Three start cycles it started and drove the rest of the way to the shop. While it was in for testing while sitting at an idle it just shut off. Started right back up afterwards with no issues. Halfway through the emissions testing it dies again. They managed to get the inspection completed by holding the throttle about 1200 rpms and got the inspection completed. Truck ran fine on the way home, then died again in the driveway waiting on the garage door. No codes have activated since clearing after the cat installation. Internet reading suggested that it might be the throttle body sensors. Have now replaced the throttle body as well. Cleared the KAM and started it up. Started up fine, but about 3 minutes later died. Hooked my computer to it, checked for codes (Nothing), used FORSCAN to view mode 6 info, no logged missfires, nothing out of the ordinary. It will start back up, but will randomly shut itself off. I am at a loss here and need someone that has experienced this or a tech that has seen this to give some insight. I want to try and eliminate anything I can before sending it to the dealer abyss. Without any codes, I'm not sure where to go from here.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had an F-150 do a similar deal, progressively got worse and ended up dieing in the dealer parking lot. It was the PCM.

MAC1

Reaction score
There is a known issue with the throttle body on 2016 Expeditions, goes into limp mode, the wrench is illuminated on the dash. The replacement throttle bodies have been revised, once replaced the issue goes away. I was left stranded on the highway with my 2016 for this issue. The dealer replaced the TB, no more problems.

OP
OP
O

own1bigtruck

Reaction score
So we got this issue figured out! Ended up taking it to a private shop that is owned here locally by a Ford Tech. He found a wire that had been spliced (if you want to call it that) to bypass a bad pin in a connector. Of course this had to be the wire that fed power to the coils and injectors, which was causing it to shut off. They jammed one end of the wire into the connector and the other end was stripped and heat shrunk to the existing factory wire (no solder or splice, just laid together and then heat shrunk). He properly spliced it back together and repinned the other end at the connector and now all is good in the world again! The sad part is that I am believing this was done by a technician at a dealership previous to me buying it. It was a one owner vehicle that was always serviced at one of two Ford dealers.

ScottRH

Reaction score
See my post our 2008 would shut down,

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So we got this issue figured out! Ended up taking it to a private shop that is owned here locally by a Ford Tech. He found a wire that had been spliced (if you want to call it that) to bypass a bad pin in a connector. Of course this had to be the wire that fed power to the coils and injectors, which was causing it to shut off. They jammed one end of the wire into the connector and the other end was stripped and heat shrunk to the existing factory wire (no solder or splice, just laid together and then heat shrunk). He properly spliced it back together and repinned the other end at the connector and now all is good in the world again! The sad part is that I am believing this was done by a technician at a dealership previous to me buying it. It was a one owner vehicle that was always serviced at one of two Ford dealers.
This is reason the why I do my own maintenance and repairs whenever possible. That's some lazy shit right there.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed, thanks for sharing the fix, sharp tech.