2016 Key Programming With ForScan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leith_Lad

Reaction score
I have a 2016 XLT I bought used 2 years ago and only came with one key.
I have hesitated on getting a second key cut because of the price and also wanting to activate the onboard remote start.

I have a remanufactured OEM key and had it cut at a local locksmith. My question is can I program this new key with the extended license ForScan or do I need to just suck it up and go to the dealer?

Thanks for any input

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, ForScan can help you program your second key ( or third or fourth...). Here's a walk through: https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=839

If you want a one piece FOB/Key combo these work well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Uncut-Remote-Control-Key-Fob-For-2004-16-Ford-F-150-F-250-F-350-OUCD6000022/324022767311?fits=Year:2016|Model:Expedition|Make:Ford&hash=item4b71430ecf:g:w8sAAOSwlPFeAsvD

Once you get two keys programmed these instructions will be a good guide:

Programming Ford Key and FOB

Step-by-Step Ford Key Fob Programming Instructions
  1. Close the car doors, then open the driver-side door. Press the UNLOCK button on the driver-side door.

2. Next, turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times. Do this within 10 seconds, making sure the 8th time ends on RUN. When you’ve entered programming mode, the door locks will lock and unlock. (Note: If the doors don’t cycle, turn the key on and off faster.)

3. Press any button on the Ford remote to be programmed. Do this within 8 seconds. The door locks will cycle again to confirm the keyless entry remote is programmed and ready to use.

4. Have a second remote key fob? Again, press any button on the remote within 8 seconds to cycle the door locks. Repeat this step for any additional key fobs.

5. Finally, turn the ignition to OFF. The locks will again cycle to confirm programming is complete.

Transponder Key Programming

You must have 2 original keys that start your engine to perform this procedure. If you only have one working key or none at all it must be programmed by a dealer or locksmith! ( ForScan also works for this....) Your New third (unprogrammed) key must also be cut prior to performing this procedure.

Please Note: If one of your keys is a cloned key from a hardware store this procedure will NOT work. This procedure requires original programmed keys.
1. Insert an existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (just shy of starting the car Without cranking the engine) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay in ON position for at least one second.
3. Remove the existing key and WITHIN TEN SECONDS, insert a second working key and turn to ON and then back to OFF. Ignition must be on for at least one second but no more than ten seconds. Remove key.
4. Insert the New (unprogrammed) key before twenty seconds have elapsed and turn to ON. Leave it in the ON position for at least one second and turn back to OFF.
5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate the new key has been successfully programmed.

Setting Up Your Ford Memory Seats

Once you’ve got your seat, mirrors, telescopic steering column, and power pedals in the proper place, turn the key to put the ignition in the “On” position. Once you’ve got the power on, you’ll notice three buttons on the side panel of the driver’s side door. Press and hold the number 1 button for about five seconds until you hear a single chime. After the chime sounds, let go of the button and your seat settings have been saved! To test it out, simply move something a hair and press the button to watch it go back to your set position.

Setting Up Ford Key Fob Memory

For those times when you want your seat to be ready for you before you get inside your Ford vehicle, the key fob that you received with your vehicle can activate the memory seats for you! To sync your key fob with your memory seats, do everything we talked about earlier, except this time keep holding the appropriate memory button until you hear the chime twice. As soon as you hear the second chime, press the lock button on your key fob immediately. Now, every time you press the unlock button, your seat will automatically adjust to your preferred settings. This is especially helpful if you make use out of the easy entry and easy exit feature which moves the steering wheel and seat each time you get in and get out of your Ford.