2016 radio issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon Read

Reaction score
My 16 Expedition is having radio issues. Can't use the phone function at all so we can't connect for music or phone calls. The phone button doesn't work at all.
We want to replace the stereo with a newer touch screen. I was looking on Crutchfield for stereos and when I enter my info on their website it says it doesn't recommend replacing my stereo.
WTH?
Has anyone replaced their stereo? I'm sure some has.
What's the big deal?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The radio on these can't really be replaced as it houses a significant amount of controls for the vehicle and none of the aftermarket solutions can't replicate that functionality. Annoying situation and unfortunately growing more common as "infotainment" displays are a growing trend to streamline things. People need to quit wishing everything is on a single screen and just maybe they'll quit doing it one day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marlon Read

Marlon Read

Reaction score
Well that blows...
So no upgrading to another ford head unit with navagation either?
What the heck ford!!!!!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
While I don't know about the 2016 specifically, you can usually install an upgraded Ford radio with GPS, though it isn't easy. In many earlier years, the radio must be programmed with the specific features of the car in which it's installed. The harness of the base car also differs from what the premium radio needs, so adaptations must be made there. It's quite an adventure, though it usually can be done.

Most factory GPS units today get lots of information from the vehicle's computer system, including steering angle, speed and stuff you wouldn't suspect. Many of the basic units don't even connect to that data.

It's just one more way to keep those who buy an XLT from enjoying the luxuries of a Limited without forking over the tens of thousands in payments.

mo_javie241

Reaction score
My screen went out about a month ago. I've been able to connect my phone to aux as a work around and still listen to music. But now that doesnt work. Has anyone just had the screen go dark? appreciate any assistance thanks!

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the Kenwood DMX1057xr and the Maestro RR2 combo. Integrates with your native systems and will control such things as climate control, parking sensors etc. along with steering controls and backup cams. Just go to the iDatalink website ( https://www.idatalinkmaestro.com ) to check compatibility.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 16 Expedition is having radio issues. Can't use the phone function at all so we can't connect for music or phone calls. The phone button doesn't work at all.
We want to replace the stereo with a newer touch screen. I was looking on Crutchfield for stereos and when I enter my info on their website it says it doesn't recommend replacing my stereo.
WTH?
Has anyone replaced their stereo? I'm sure some has.
What's the big deal?
here's a post about a similar issue. It seems to be a common problem but Ford hasn't offered any help other than "take it to the dealer" who will replace the APIM module for $500 or so. The APIM is the interface for several things that are controlled by the radio buttons.
I decided to get a stand alone Bluetooth phone/speaker , you can find them for $30 -$100.
I only need the handsfree for my phone I don't need Apple carplay or any other electronic interface. My radio am/fm/xm/cd still work and that's all I want.