2016 XLT water pump leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BogueSound

Reaction score
PXL_20221010_170049377.jpgPXL_20221010_170246095.jpg

Having coolant come out of various holes in the skid plate. Photo on the left is at the front bottom of the engine underneath where the water pump is and pic on the right is on the engine block to the left of the pump. I thought it was the dreaded turbo fittings but I can't imagine that areas shown would have coolant from the turbos. Stealership quoted $971 for the job. I've looked at a lot of the threads and youtube vids and it seems like something I could manage having done a thermostat and power steering pump on my wife's Liberty. A little concerned about the comments of various tubes being brittle and prone to breaking as I'm not the most patient person.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 75396View attachment 75397

Having coolant come out of various holes in the skid plate. Photo on the left is at the front bottom of the engine underneath where the water pump is and pic on the right is on the engine block to the left of the pump. I thought it was the dreaded turbo fittings but I can't imagine that areas shown would have coolant from the turbos. Stealership quoted $971 for the job. I've looked at a lot of the threads and youtube vids and it seems like something I could manage having done a thermostat and power steering pump on my wife's Liberty. A little concerned about the comments of various tubes being brittle and prone to breaking as I'm not the most patient person.

Unable to comment on difficulty. Part information next:

The water pump leaked on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 (purchased new) at about 70,*** miles. It was replaced by a Ford dealer under my Ford Premium service plan.

The service advisor said the pump required a new (updated) pulley kit when it was installed.

If you do the work yourself, you may want to check with the Ford part’s department using your VIN to determine if your replacement pump requires the updated pulley kit.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to replace the thermostat and belts while you’re in there. That’s my plan for November.

OP
OP
B

BogueSound

Reaction score
I ended up having the dealer replace this as it was a bit out of my time/skill range. I wasn't too encouraged when he called in the morning and said it would be ready by 1000, and then called back at 945 and said the tech didn't realize there was a section of pipe under the top engine cover that was taking him longer to get back in place. Not so encouraging. However, the leak was gone and the truck still cools.

I'm bumping this because it seems like the heater core has developed an issue and I'm wondering if anything in the repair of the water pump would have effected that, specifically the section of pipe under the engine cover. I'd assume that is for the return on the other side of the engine and unrelated. I say heater core because I can smell it in the truck. This is in the passenger side and that little foam gasket/grommet to the of the bolt had the slightest amount of what looked/felt like antifreeze. Also appears to be a decent amount that is appearing in places on the outside and I'm wondering how likely it is the core itself or could it be where the lines come and and it's just letting enough in the core area and with the fan running it's still pushing the smell/fumes in? PXL_20230420_004209829.jpgPXL_20230420_004440684.jpg

Brandonian

Reaction score
I am not sure about Expeditions, but when the heater core on my Jeep Commander leaked it was on the passenger floorboard, you could smell it inside and you'd some steam coming out of the defrost vents indicating the coolant was getting on the core itself. Luckily on those there was a shortcut under the dash to do it :).

I just replaced my thermostat and water pump on my 2016 this week. I took a couple of evenings to do it going nice and slow (personal reasons, my master mechanic dad isn't around anymore and it's the first thing I've had to open up mechanically since he passed) but looking back, I think the book calls for 3.5 hours of labor and overall I was a couple hours shy of it. I have better luck with metal impeller water pumps, and that was $75 retail at AutoZone. Ford OEM with plastic fins is $100 on rock auto, but that's preference.

The tube the tech got stuck on was the crossover tube that runs from the thermostat housing to the rear and is sealed by orings, slightly fudgey to get in place. If it's leaking passenger side at the rear I'd bet either an oring tore or he didn't confirm the rear oring was in tact.

The hoses for the heater core should either go straight in or are in a tbox there at the firewall, sorry I haven't looked yet.

I've also come to find out there's an auxiliary water pump on these, but I haven't looked into where yet. My wager is it's at the crossover pipe in the rear though, I'd certainly have them take it back in and reexamine that crossover pipe and the orings, especially since this occured right after they serviced it.

The pipes on my 2016 were not brittle but the driver side that goes down by the fender well was a turd and we dropped a socket in the frame when it came off haha :). That took a minute to fish out. If you take your time and analyze each piece as you do it and don't drink (lol) you'll be able to save each clip and screw.