2017 3.5 EB Oil Preference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grambo

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2017 3.5 EB with 75K one owner miles I am assuming it was standard oil my guess
5w-30 the owner had done w/ oil changes so with the Ecoboost
Switch over to Synthetic or Amsoil?
Or
since it has 75K stay with standard oil weight (Is switching to synthetic bad idea)

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Switching to synthetic oil is fine. The only time I’ve heard you shouldn’t run synthetic is if you are breaking in a brand new engine. This may have changed with the break-in oils now ,but that’s what I was told by engine builders back when synthetic oils first hit the market. I run 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 17 EB ....I get it at Costco when it goes on sale for $28.00 for a case of 6 qts. Normally it’s $38.00 per case. Once they had it for $15.00 off per case.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Project Farm switched his 40 year old Ford Tractor to synthetic to test out the claims. He got no leaks on any of the original 40 year old gaskets from switching to synthetic.....it is pretty much an unfounded rumor unless you have an engine that was extremely sludged up with failing gaskets. You can switch to synthetic at any mileage on a healthy engine.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Oil is oil and 10W-30 is 10W-30. :)

That said I run pure synthetic in all my engines even though just one wants it or that maintenance schedule us cut in half. Synthetic causing leaking seals is 30 year old nonsense, at least now. Since I have this oil in semi-bulk in my garage the lawn equipment gets it too.

Despite their claims, Amsoil does not cure cancer. Oil is oil so run what ya like.

-- Chuck

Plati

Reaction score
I've heard switching is bad … I've heard 5W30 is "the thing" … I've heard synthetic is too thin and seals will leak … I've heard all you have to do is regular oil/filter changes with any oil … I've heard 3K, 6K … I've heard you have to have the oil with titanium … I've heard don't follow the Owners Manual … I've heard everything under the sun I guess. Its Black Magic

If you ask an oil question on a Forum you will not hear consensus.

Me? follow the Owners Manual and the oil life monitor. FWIW

but then again I don't actually own an EcoBoost so my opinion is invalid (heard that too)

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Switching to synthetic is at any time is never a bad idea, it is better oil and will keep your engine cleaner. Amsoil is not a silver bullet, all the big names are almost the same. Leaks from synthetic is NOT a myth (and there are a lot of myths out there). It has smaller, more uniform molecules and I have experienced it myself. My excursion never leaked until the day I switched over but it was still worth it. It leaks with the same token that makes it better. Borderline leaks become leaks.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Switching to synthetic oil is fine. The only time I’ve heard you shouldn’t run synthetic is if you are breaking in a brand new engine. This may have changed with the break-in oils now ,but that’s what I was told by engine builders back when synthetic oils first hit the market. I run 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 17 EB ....I get it at Costco when it goes on sale for $28.00 for a case of 6 qts. Normally it’s $38.00 per case. Once they had it for $15.00 off per case.

Urban myth.

Many new vehicles (which are equipped with a “brand new” engine”) come with synthetic oil from the factory.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
It used to be a bearing clearance issue. With the tighter tolerances now, synthetic vs. dino doesn't cause problems like it used to. There are engines where if you run synthetic you will have a problem. Older engines. It might also be that formulas have changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK