2017 3.5l ecoboost Expedition, any known issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife is looking at a 2017 3.5l ecoboost with 52,000
On it. Any problems with this model, I'll have it for at least 6 years.
Any info on it will be grateful. Are the Transmission and motors any good?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are pretty solid vehicles, if the price is right I don’t see why not. Obviously check into the maintenance and condition. The mileage is quite high for a 2017.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 69K on mine, my wife has 91K on hers, and thus far they’ve been solid trucks. Engines and transmissions are good, Ford figured out most of the trouble areas and quirks of the combo long before they were ever put in an Expedition.
Not to say they are necessarily completely trouble-free, but issues are mostly on an individual truck level, rather than prevalent across all trucks.
I love my EcoBoost, and I wouldn’t trade it back for the 5.0 in my old F-150.
No real known issues with suspension, steering, brakes, or anything else under the truck. It’s basically F-150 under there, and not a whole lot different than they were all the way back to 2004.
Is it a CPO truck? They are definitely preferred with their 84-month/100K extended warranty, especially if you intend to keep it for a while. I’d agree with @JExpedition07 the miles are high for a 2017, and his recommendations are spot-on.

OP
OP
Ron1978

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was a rental, clean car fax, it's a fleet vehicle.
Local Ford place has it. I

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was a rental, clean car fax, it's a fleet vehicle.
Local Ford place has it. I

The up side to rentals is that you can be fairly sure that the vehicle was well-maintained. The down side is that many people beat on rentals. Thinking about it logically though, most people that rent an Expedition aren't driving it like a sports coupe.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
. The mileage is quite high for a 2017.

Be nice JE<LOL>! I've got 53,300 on mine, bought new and it's been flawless in its performance however minor things that are almost expected given the solutions employed by Ford....reset the throttle body to remove a tiny bit of "hunting" at low speeds. My sweetheart swears it was my .......yeah, you all know. Other than that, engine gets five full stars...

jeff

PS. I drive 46 miles ea way to work, gas avg since new----18.2mpg

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just recently purchased my 17. So far so good, but I found out here they produce alot and I mean alot of blow by. So if you get it, I'd add a oil separator soooon.

Mine to was a fleet with alot of miles on it, 46k I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife is looking at a 2017 3.5l ecoboost with 52,000
On it. Any problems with this model, I'll have it for at least 6 years.
Any info on it will be grateful. Are the Transmission and motors any good?
We have a '16 with nearly 70k miles. Runs great. No issues thus far. Wasn't sure about the V6 with 2WD but it has worked out extremely well. Got nearly 20 mpg on a 2600 mile trip in early October. 52,000 is nothing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ron1978

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thx for all the relies, wasn't sure of the v6 engine
I had a 2006 with the 5.4l , at 100,000 it start cam phaser noise and lost power, so we traded it in. We are ready to go back to a Big SUV now