2017 3.5l ecoboost Expedition, any known issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thx for all the relies, wasn't sure of the v6 engine
I had a 2006 with the 5.4l , at 100,000 it start cam phaser noise and lost power, so we traded it in. We are ready to go back to a Big SUV now

Early gen 1 ecoboosts had timing set and camphaser issues as well like the early 5.4 3V engines esp on ecoboosts built from 2011-2013. Much like your 2006. By 2015 most of this was resolved your in a good year range. The newer gen 2 engines seem to be more troublesome than the later gen 1 ecoboosts.

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have 106,000 miles on our 2015. Zero issues except one. We had a coolant leak from the coolant line that goes to the drivers side turbo. But it stopped leaking after just a day and I’m not dealing with it until it starts to leak again :) I haven’t been easy on my truck either. We’ve towed a total of almost 13,000 miles this year alone towing a 5300lb 23 foot camper. Truck gets worked for sure.

64ffc147e9d7b57ba91512fbab662bc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Gotta love those Roos! :)

Towed our 2006 Roo 23SS with a 2002 Explorer (after up-sizing from a popup), a 2007 Expedition, and now with a 2017 Expedition which is, of course, the best of the three. The 5.4 V8 was fine and 3.5 EcoBoost just laughs at the eastern mountains when she even notices them and runs cruise control over the Blue Ridge.

Last week "winterizing" her by blowing all the water out of the plumbing. No power at the storage site so I run the air compressor off the truck via a 2000w full duty inverter.

IMG_3589[1].JPG

Brian Burns

Reaction score
My wife and I bought a 2017 XLT back in July with 46k on it with the 3.5L Ecoboost. It was a rental from Enterprise as well, which initially worried me. We purchased a CarFax for it and it came back clean. We took it to a shop and it checked out. They found some rust underneath and one of the shocks had indication of leaking. Nothing really big though. Just check it inside and out thoroughly (as you already know). Make sure all the switches/knobs work/etc.

These vehicles are premium rentals ($100+ as opposed to a $20/day Corolla) so I couldn't imagine someone beating the crap out of it and paying that much. But, there's always the risk.

We're sitting pretty at a little over 50k miles and it has been an incredible vehicle so far. Absolutely love that power it has (coming from a 2012 Explorer XLT w/ Ecoboost). We don't do any towing or anything like that either.

Best of luck!

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a 2016 with 46k in March.
Just hit 55k.
Have a leaking rear shock and also had to replace the master cylinder and brake booster.
Same issue that was recalled on the F150s.

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
Very similar trailer to me and I just picked up a 2017. Curious what hwy speed you tow at and the mpg you get pulling the trailer?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we get 9-11 mpg towing the Roo 23SS. More to the bottom end with the former 5.4 V8 and the upper with the 3.5 EcoBoost. I typically set one pane in the dash panel to "miles to empty" and the menu allows selection of "normal" or "towing." The miles towed with a specific trailer is on the display somewhere. May need a trailer connected to access that part of the menu. I have "Roo" and "Uhaul" for saved settings but with neither connected I don't see the mileage.

I know both the Roo and Uhaul were towed roughly 600 miles when I moved last year and the Roo maybe another 500 miles this summer so I don't have a lot of fuel mileage to track. With the Miles To Empty set to towing, though, there's a comfortable warning when fuel gets low. "50 miles to empty in my '07 was really maybe 20 when towing.

Essentially towing fuel use is what it is. Air resistance is exponential (twice at 70 what it was at 50) so "speed kills" is the watchword.

-- Chuck

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got 15,000 miles on my 17. Bought new No real issues. I have the EL with 4WD I average about 14.5 MPG week in and week out. I can see up to 17 on a long trip but it is only while driving on the highway. I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a 19 or 20 :D

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The computer shows my current "trip" at 18.6 mpg. Other than a couple of of days around town this was Carlisle PA to Richmond VA running 10-over mainly on non-interstate highways -- I ain't driving near DC unless absolutely required. (I think the Amtrack phone number for the car train is similar to 1-800-HATE-I95.)

Lots of old-style four lanes in cruise control. Running in Tow/Haul even when running light made downgrades in the mountains noticeably easier as the transmission seamlessly downshifted and provided engine braking even those times cruise was disabled. And didn't seem to bother the fuel economy.

-- Chuck

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 el that was also a rental prior to my purchase,with 56k on it. I've only put 3,500 miles on it since August. The only issue I've had is that when park it with the front end higher than the rear end(parking spot with a decent grade), then water from rain overwhelms the 2 rear sunroof drains and water has poured into the vehicle from the 2 central roof air vents..... I'm gonna run some trimmer line through the drain lines and that may solve the problem, but I cant imagine that they are clogged. If you don't have a sunroof, then this shouldn't be an issue. For more info on mine and similar leaks look at the "2017 Water Leaks" thread.

I average 13.8 right now, but most of my driving is around town while carrying my wife and 6 kids...so running with more weight than some. My wife took a 1,000mile trip Kentucky and back and got around 17 carrying a full load of passengers and the cargo area full as well

For perspective, this truck replaced my 2001 Chevy Suburban LT with 195,000 miles....had a sunroof and never had a single leak. I guess chevy is better at designing sunroofs/drains.....still miss my Suburban:(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited: