2017 3.5l ecoboost Expedition, any known issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never had a $100 fill-up in either of my Expeditions. Computer indicates well over 15 mpg for the life of the truck including several hundred miles of towing.

What car are you using premium in? The Expedition doesn't need it. (I know you know this. Couldn't resist. :) )

-- Chuck

Chuck,

I’m towing a 5000lb trailer through the mountains. I absolutely need to use premium in my Ecoboost. Makes a world of difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Premium 'recommended' for towing and advertised HP/torque. Reduced power on 87 octane.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've only had my 2017 for three weeks, but in that time I've towed a 6,600 lb trailer 2,000 miles and took a road trip to New Orleans from Houston with six passengers. So far so good. It was a used rental that I purchased from Carmax with 58K on it. MPG towing is only 8.5 - 9.5 depending on grade and what type of truck I'm tailing. But that's to be expected I guess, with my trailer size (27ft Forest River). So far so good. We avoid driving the vehicle around town due to the poor fuel economy. But for road trips, it gets the job done. I think my minivan was more spacious, but of course it couldn't haul 7,000 lbs.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The up side to rentals is that you can be fairly sure that the vehicle was well-maintained. The down side is that many people beat on rentals. Thinking about it logically though, most people that rent an Expedition aren't driving it like a sports coupe.

A friend of mine had had a '17 Expy rental for a month or so while his company van was being replaced...he beat the snot out of it like a sports car and put on 10K miles. LOL

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Says a lot about a person who beats the snot out of a rental.
A friend of mine had had a '17 Expy rental for a month or so while his company van was being replaced...he beat the snot out of it like a sports car and put on 10K miles. LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Experience varies and I've yet to see the need for any octane higher than 87. Perhaps those Michigan Mountains need 93 octane with a 5000 pound trailer but towing the same weight trailer with both 87 and 93 here in the PA, WV, and VA mountain I don't see or feel any difference with the '17 truck. Only a couple of tows over the mountains with the EcoBoost but it's quantums better than the 5.5 V8 in this role even burning 87. Maybe this is coloring my experience.

I have the 3.31 axles in the '17; 3.73 in the '07.

-- Chuck

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Experience varies and I've yet to see the need for any octane higher than 87. Perhaps those Michigan Mountains need 93 octane with a 5000 pound trailer but towing the same weight trailer with both 87 and 93 here in the PA, WV, and VA mountain I don't see or feel any difference with the '17 truck. Only a couple of tows over the mountains with the EcoBoost but it's quantums better than the 5.5 V8 in this role even burning 87. Maybe this is coloring my experience.

-- Chuck[/QUOT

I easily saw a 40% increase in fuel economy when I switched from regular to premium in my 17 EL. Plus was 20% over regular, premium resulted in another 20% increase over plus. Any forced induction engine needs the octane to keep the tune sharp. Sure you can run it on regular fine but the power is down. More power means less throttle needed hence the added economy.

Bmoe

Reaction score
Canada, it’s $1.15 per litre which is 4 litres per US Gallon =$4.60 per gallon. Our gas prices fluctuate from $1.05-1.30 per litre.

Mine was also a daily rental, I bought with 16,900 km on it which is approximately 10,000 miles, I’m at 22,000 km now.A few years ago I used to own a 2004 Yukon XL with the vortex engine and I got better fuel economy.

I realize my expy is heavier than my 2.7 l f150 and the f150 had a larger tank. I am going to switch my computer over to us units of measure and will report back what my mileage avg is.
Bmoe
Okay here it is, I get 13.9 MPG US
My 2004 Yukon XL did better. Just saying

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score

-- Chuck

You mentioned getting a bit over 15mpg since new.....too bad we have different axles since I use nothing but 93 and have a 3mpg delta up but with 3.73 gears....we'd need a geek to run the calcs to factor that out.

interesting....

jeff