2017 3.5l ecoboost Expedition, any known issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chuck,

We’ve come to the same conclusion as you...do when I’m not towing out west, I always run 87. For the same calculated reasons. Way too expensive. I’m
Thinking of buying toluene by the 55 gal drum and making my own octane booster tho lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Fuel costs have remained constant for decades. And possibly decreased. In terms of buying power and the worth of the dollar.

Inflation since the 1960s has basically just moved the decimal point one place to the right. 29¢ is now $2.90. And Premium being only 10¢ more expensive than regular would make it $3.90/gallon. Yep, that $5 fill now costs $50 but our wages have (hopefully) kept up.

My own experience with my wonderful 2007 5.4 V8 Expedition has dropped that rating to no more than Good since buying the 2007 3.5 EcoBoost. I'm not seeing long term problems with either engine with regular service. And the 3.5 is much more capable, especially as a tow vehicle for my camper.

-- Chuck

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are buying used I’d go to the F-150 forum and look in the 09-14’ section to get a good idea on all the engines. The 3.5 EcoBoost seems to be the most troublesome of the bunch long term. They both have issues and good aspects and with care are good engines long term. However as far as long term reliability goes the cast iron V8 will generally be cheaper to maintain while lasting longer. Don’t want an engine debate but it seems that’s the overall consensus from owners.

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are buying used I’d go to the F-150 forum and look in the 09-14’ section to get a good idea on all the engines. The 3.5 EcoBoost seems to be the most troublesome of the bunch long term. They both have issues and good aspects and with care are good engines long term. However as far as long term reliability goes the cast iron V8 will generally be cheaper to maintain while lasting longer. Don’t want an engine debate but it seems that’s the overall consensus from owners.

That’s his interpretation, but read through this forum and you’ll see he’s consistent on this stance. I 100% disagree with the above statement...but do so respectfully. Just don’t want people to read something on this thread that might just be opinion based. The 3.5 is in a TON of trucks and has been proving itself. Back on topic, I bought premium today for 20cents more per gallon than regular in california which made my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very similar trailer to me and I just picked up a 2017. Curious what hwy speed you tow at and the mpg you get pulling the trailer?

I've got a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH. I don't go faster than 60-62 mpg and have gotten about 8.5 - 9.5 mpg for the longer drives with it.
20181026_180427[1].jpg

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
20¢ and I'm in! Still running 60¢ here in Olde Virginia.

-- Chuck
That's awful... 2.37 for regular/ 2.85 for premium in NJ the added economy I get is well worth the difference to me.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
We are down to $2.18 here in middle TN.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah... those were the days... We'd likely be down there too if Chris Cristie didn't increase the gas tax. The only thing we had in NJ going for us was cheap gas.

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah... those were the days... We'd likely be down there too if Chris Cristie didn't increase the gas tax. The only thing we had in NJ going for us was cheap gas.
I bought gas recently in New Jersey and could not believe that someone else had to actually pump the gas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk