2017 EL OBD Codes P0019 and P0299

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017 Expedition EL Limited w/ 139,000 miles.

I just returned from a ~1,400 trip from the Houston region to Panama City, FL, during which we towed my 7,000 lb camper. On the outbound trip, the engine threw a code for P0299 - Turbocharger A underboost. I didn't notice any change to engine operation before the code. I pulled over into a parking lot and reset the code. For the reminder of the trip, ~6 hours, I locked out 6th and manually switched to lower gears to limit boost to under 7 psi. For a week in Florida, we had no issues while the camper was unhooked.

On the return trip, around 2 - 3 hours in, the error returned, along with an additional error for P0019 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 Sensor B. I tightened the intake hose clamps because I changed the air filter several days prior. When I resumed driving, the engine drove normally for several miles, then boost was again limit to ~6 psi. I spent the rest of the 8 hour trip using 2 - 4th gear, as the engine was down on power substantially.

All the research I've done on this issue points to a stretched timing chain. But supposedly, the start-up rattle accompanies a stretched chain. I heard the start-up rattle intermittently after the vehicle sat for an extended period of time but that was over 20,000 miles ago and I haven't had the startup since. It went away when I changed the oil (it was due) and returned to Motorcraft oil filters. However, I think I have a leaking manifold on the driver side. I can only hear the leak when it's cold out, and it disappears when the engine warms up. Apart from this, I've experienced no other drivability issues with the vehicle.

I ran the Forscan engine running test, and nothing regarding camshaft timing showed up apart from the existing codes referenced above. My understanding is that the stretched chain shows up as timing being off more than six degrees from what the PCM demands.
Any input into further troubleshooting would be appreciated, as I find it odd that this issue only seems to manifest when the camper is attached.

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealership tech said it's probably related to oil thinning under high heat when towing. I switched to 5W-40. The bank with the code is now rattling from the cylinder head, but no noticeable drivability issues. I suspect the rattle is the water pump.

Last edited:

prenticect

Reaction score
You mentioned rattling on startup, There is a VCT recall on specific Expys in this year range and I had very similar yet not exactly the same codes. I had the 2099. But if the ratlte is only on startup and then goes away, most likely the VCT. There is a way to check to see if your specific truck is in the list. As stated mine was not. I opened a ticket up with Ford and I got them to pay for half the fix... BUT I was at 68k miles and the warranty for this issue was up to 70. So you are over regardless. this is about a 3k fix... they have to tear the whole front of the motor off to fix those little parts.

Mine has been fix for about 6k miles and not any issues with that... I have had other issues, not that :)

nikolairomanov

Reaction score
just had a problem similar to this myself. the fix was a small valve on the underside near the oil filter. the turbo pressure relief valve. the gasket has a tendency to tear. pic related below

this video shows you most of what you need to do. part number is shown in the video briefly.

its an easy fix and a 30 dollar part if you find the gasket has a hole in it.

Attachments

• 20230623_164158.jpg
    20230623_164158.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2