2017 EL trans or PS leak - help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryans Rebel

Reaction score
2017 EL, 75k miles. A couple days ago I noticed two spots of oil in the driveway when my wife left the house. I believe it is either transmission fluid or power steering fluid (redish, pinkinsh thin oily fluid). No way to tell since there is no PS reservoir or transmission dipstick :rolleyes:. Anyway, I parked the car in a different location and no more leak. Seems to be leaking while driving only? It is dripping from the plate under the engine. I need to remove the panel to get a closer look. Are these cars known to develop any particular leaks in any particular places that I should be looking for?

The crazy part is I have a 100k mile warranty and I called the local Ford stealership and they scheduled me in the next available slot.......November 16th!!! A month from now! No way can I wait a month to figure this leak out.

Any help would be appreciated.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be coolant leak, possibly the water pump. There's been a few people on here that thought it was PS or Trans fluid. There is no power steering fluid, it is electric. Water pump may be weeping.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017 EL, 75k miles. A couple days ago I noticed two spots of oil in the driveway when my wife left the house. I believe it is either transmission fluid or power steering fluid (redish, pinkinsh thin oily fluid). No way to tell since there is no PS reservoir or transmission dipstick :rolleyes:. Anyway, I parked the car in a different location and no more leak. Seems to be leaking while driving only? It is dripping from the plate under the engine. I need to remove the panel to get a closer look. Are these cars known to develop any particular leaks in any particular places that I should be looking for?

The crazy part is I have a 100k mile warranty and I called the local Ford stealership and they scheduled me in the next available slot.......November 16th!!! A month from now! No way can I wait a month to figure this leak out.

The original water pump in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 (purchased new) began leaking at about 75,*** miles. It was replaced by the dealer under the Ford extended warranty, but it took them two visits to do it right (factory trained technicians.....).

Ford issued an updated pump and kit for the engine, which included a new pulley and bolts (if I remember correctly).

Mine rarely leaked when parked - it would leak slowly when being driven. I noticed the problem as I often check the coolant reservoir level and oil level - and the coolant level began to decrease.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Have you changed your oil recently? Could be residual leaking out from the engine’s skid plate when parked in the orientation your wife normally parks.