2017 Expedition A/C blower and HEAD UNIT (?) issues...FIXED, thanks HamFisted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bschoch

Reaction score
Morning ya'll... new member, new Expedition EL owner, and this is my first post..

We just bought a 2017 Exped. EL XLT, but has alot more than typical XLT (leather/sunroof, power seats, Sync, etc).. Anyhow, my questions have to do with the intermittent blower motor issues - I discovered the melted conncector/pigtail to the blower motor resistor after banging under the dash to get the blower to come back on a few times... So, I have now replaced the pigtail/connector, the resistor and the blower motor, and that has not fixed the issue. I checked the 40 amp fuse and relay under the hood and the 10 amp under the passenger kick panel, all good - I am getting power to the motor, but the controller is not supplying the ground, it seems. I can get my hand (thru the glove box) and feel the control head unit, and it is getting very hot back there.. Could I have an issue with the head unit? Or is there something along the way I am missing??
I have a Ford tech friend, and he checked my repair and said it was all done correctly... he is somewhat stumped, and said it could be the control head...

OP
OP
B

bschoch

Reaction score
10/4, thanks for the reply...
I think it is probably the control head unit.. and, yes, trying to find a salvage, as Ford wants like $1300 for them!
To add to the mystery, or maybe to confirm the head unit.. the rear vents blow at every speed, but only cool at certain speeds, and even then only blows cold air intermittently, but I can feel the condenser (at least I think that's what it is) under the glove box getting cold, and the compressor is turning on...
It just sucks, as we just bought this thing a week ago, with 94k miles, the dealer we got it from is saying since we didn't buy an extended warranty thru them there is nothing they will do, and, we live in S FLA, where it is still 90* outside and we have 4 children my wife carts around here and there all day! :mad:

OP
OP
B

bschoch

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that Ebay link you sent is only the face plate - the actual HVAC control head plugs into that piece.. and is significantly more expensive

OP
OP
B

bschoch

Reaction score
If you need the wiring diagrams or manual you can download it at Cardiagn.com for free. The wiring diagrams might help with the troubleshooting.
If you need the wiring diagrams or manual you can download it at Cardiagn.com for free. The wiring diagrams might help with the troubleshooting.

If you just want to try another AC control panel you can find them on ebay or maybe a local salvage yard.

2016-2017 Expedition AC Control Panel on eBay

This was most helpful!! The pinpoint tests led me to my error upon initial install of the pigtail, but now I feel I am exceptionally well versed on this dang climate control system!! LOL - I had the speed wire swapped with the ground.. even the Ford tech didn't catch it when he checked my work (I am sure if I had made a ticket and left it there for him he would have seen the error)... Gosh, I was thinking the worst for sure... Thanks for this reply, so very much!