2017 Expedition EL Overheating while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skamerick

Reaction score
My 2017 EL with the HD towing package is overheating while towing uphill. I slow down (less than 60 mph), and turn off the A/C to keep it from hitting the max heat level. I've flushed the cooling system and changed the thermostat. Does anyone else have an issued with engine temp going up while climbing?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 EL with the HD towing package is overheating while towing uphill. I slow down (less than 60 mph), and turn off the A/C to keep it from hitting the max heat level. I've flushed the cooling system and changed the thermostat. Does anyone else have an issued with engine temp going up while climbing?

While towing, are you using the tow-haul mode?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which gear are you using? The Expedition likes to drive the turbos harder instead of downshifting. Downshifting reduces the load on the engine.

OP
OP
S

skamerick

Reaction score
I've read that and tried it. I was able to manipulate the temp enough to make it through the climb. At 45mph 4th gear seems to do the trick

ynpmoose

Reaction score
7000 empty or full? I pulled a 5800empty/7000 full 32' travel trailer from PA to CO, UT, MT, and back all across the rockies without issues in my 2016. Maybe dropped to 55 on the very steepest grades just to not hammer the truck.

OP
OP
S

skamerick

Reaction score
7000 full, 6300 dry. We had no issues on our first 3 trips. We were 500 miles into our last trip when the a/c belt failed and took out the serpentine belt with it. As you might imagine, every warning light went nuts, it seriously overheated and just shut down. I had no idea on earth what happened, I thought I might have blown the engine. Had it towed to nearest Ford dealership and back on the road the next day.

When we got home, out of an abundance of caution, I had the cooling system flushed and the thermostat replaced. Now, when I drive (without towing anything) up the slightest incline the temp starts to climb. The oil temp and trans temp are fine. I've had it looked at by 3 different shops and no one has an answer.

I'm wandering if my towing days with this vehicle are over.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
7000 full, 6300 dry. We had no issues on our first 3 trips. We were 500 miles into our last trip when the a/c belt failed and took out the serpentine belt with it. As you might imagine, every warning light went nuts, it seriously overheated and just shut down. I had no idea on earth what happened, I thought I might have blown the engine. Had it towed to nearest Ford dealership and back on the road the next day.

When we got home, out of an abundance of caution, I had the cooling system flushed and the thermostat replaced. Now, when I drive (without towing anything) up the slightest incline the temp starts to climb. The oil temp and trans temp are fine. I've had it looked at by 3 different shops and no one has an answer.

I'm wandering if my towing days with this vehicle are over.
Try installing Torque app and Elm327 OBD. You can use it to monitor boost and temps. If you see the boost increasing substantially and temps go over 225, try a lower gear. On mine the temps rise, then the thermostat opens and the temp drops almost immediately. But it doesn't rise as much if I go down to 3rd or 4th. My camper is 7k loaded.