2017 Expedition manual correction-low beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual says:

but this is NOT correct! The correct low beam is the HB3. I do not know about the high beam but will check when I get the correct LEDs to replace the stock halagon low beams.

ALSO, there is NO 3RD SCREW UNDER THE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY AS NOTED IN THE MANUAL! There are 4 plastic locating pins but no 3rd screw. To remove, take out the top two screws, then slowly and carefully work the nacelle back and forth while pulling it towards the front, once you have enough room, tuck your fingers between the front fender on the side and also between the grill and nacelle and work the assembly forward and it will slide out.
20161212_044104_resized.jpg

Here is the low beam bulb:

\'17 Expy stock  low beam bulb.jpg

Jeff

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, I reordered another set of LEDS for 26 bucks for the set, delivered to me from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122240193792?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

and just installed them. Easy job now that I know there is no "third screw" as the manual says there is<LOL>!

Anyway, here's how they look and I'll report back after I drive with them at night. The color match is very good so I'm happy that I've gotten rid of the halogen/led look when I run my fog lights.

To me, it's a GREAT improvement for 26 bucks!

jeff

20161223_143753_resized.jpg

20161223_143744_resized.jpg

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took it out tonight and it's a HUGE difference! Wow, best $26 I've EVER spent on a car/truck that made this much difference....and there isn't any difference in the color between the headlights and fogs. The high beams don't matter since the fogs are automatically turned off when the high beams are turned on.

I've read on here where a lot of guys are spending a lot more then 26 bucks but I did my research and these leds are made by the same company that the expensive brands are!

Note to Admin: Feel free to move this thread if you think it should go into a different category!

jeff

great lights 1.jpg great lights 2.jpg

17Expy

Reaction score
Looks great. Any issues with the dust covers? Did you move the led driver to the outside of the housing. I was able to fit it all in the housing and put the dust covers on without making any holes. Not sure if it will create too much heat.

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks 17! If you go to the link where I bought the bulbs, they show only the fan housing under the bulb itself. Like you, I was wondering before they arrived if a separate box was included in the kit, like the set that I had to return but there isn't, what you see is exactly what comes in the kit and they fit deep enough into the housing that the rubber dust covers went back on with room to spare and no issues.

All the required electronics are built into the bulb housing.

Merry Christmas!!

jeff

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just clicked on the link where I bought my $26 LED bulbs and they have RAISED the price all the way up to FORTY NINE BUCKS + SHIPPING! DON'T GET SCREWED, BUY THEM SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Here is the description to search with:
120W 12000LM COB LED Headlight Kit Light Bulbs 6500K White High Power 9005 HB3

I found one option here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-120W-1...ash=item5b297c4ba3:g:HWQAAOSwgZ1XttgM&vxp=mtr

but you can find your own. Shame that the seller is gouging after a few sales.

jeff

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Andy,

You do realize that the first set at 180 watts is 90W each instead of the factory 55w, right?
I opted for the 60W bulbs but didn't want to go much higher than the stockers.
The color will be a perfect match at 6500K but I would worry about the power draw on the wiring. The Expys have never really been over-engineered when it comes to the wiring.

As far as your second choice....I have factory HID's in my 2 seater and love them....but the LEDS I installed on my truck are a VERY close second in light quality and distance. I will admit to not knowing enough to know if they would work with the projector lenses but electrical has never been my mechanical forte`

You will like either one over the feeble stock halogens.....and your truck will "look right" too<LOL>!

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff,

From what I am reading the HB3 are 65 watts so I didn't want to put in something that was less wattage. I'm just looking at options at this point. I still haven't driven it at night to see how the factory headlights look. :)