2017 Expedition Positive Battery Terminal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went to start my truck the yesterday and it was completely dead. Popped the hood and checked the negative and positive terminals. To my surprise - shock really (this is a 2017 with 33,000 miles) the positive terminal was corroded in half. In the last 5 years the terminal material has been getting thinner and thinner on Expys, I still own a 2011 and had a 2914.

So Im thinking N/P I have 7 year Ford Premium Care extended warranty. I look up the details and it says battery and battery terminals and cables excluded. OK still N/P how much can a replacement terminal / cable cost?

Well what Ford sells is not a “battery cable / terminal. it is a positive power harness that has about 10 connections throughout the engine bay and costs over $400.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any experience with this and more specifically fighting Ford on Premium warranty coverage on this?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went to start my truck the yesterday and it was completely dead. Popped the hood and checked the negative and positive terminals. To my surprise - shock really (this is a 2017 with 33,000 miles) the positive terminal was corroded in half. In the last 5 years the terminal material has been getting thinner and thinner on Expys, I still own a 2011 and had a 2914.

So Im thinking N/P I have 7 year Ford Premium Care extended warranty. I look up the details and it says battery and battery terminals and cables excluded. OK still N/P how much can a replacement terminal / cable cost?

Well what Ford sells is not a “battery cable / terminal. it is a positive power harness that has about 10 connections throughout the engine bay and costs over $400.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any experience with this and more specifically fighting Ford on Premium warranty coverage on this?

Here you go: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164497-0001.pdf

I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Expedition and have had it serviced at the dealer. After one of their multi-point inspections, I checked under the red vinyl cover for the positive battery terminal when I got home. It looked like a science project.

I removed the connector and cleaned everything very well. Periodically, I checked the connectors and clean them.

After I replaced the original battery with a new Motorcraft battery (same specifications) - the corrosion stopped. I suspected I had a battery that was leaking fumes or something, which gathered under the red cover.

Just replace the connector with one listed in the TSB above.

Good luck.

PS - I bought the Ford Extended Warranty Premium care but did not invoke it for the terminals (or the base warranty). I have found out that Ford excludes numerous parts from the extended warranty, and the dealer must check the part number in their computer to see if it (and the labor) is a covered part under the extended warranty. I’ve had a lot of poor service from three different Ford dealers, including the selling dealer, and that is what will prevent me from buying another Ford.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 2005 i cut off the factory terminal AND LEFT ENOUGH OF THE COPPER TO DRILL A HOLE AND USED A MARINE TERMINAL REPLACEMENT. NICE BRASS REPLACEMENT, THAT WAS ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO STILL GOING STRONG

Attachments

• DSCF5457.JPG
    DSCF5457.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to replace my neg term at 36,000 mi it was so bad. The pos term was slightly oxidized and I cleaned it and coated both terms with NoOX paste.
here's the p/n for pos term BT4Z-14450-AA
neg term BT4Z14450BA
here is a quality terminal mfg https://royalpowersolutions.com/products/battery-power-electronics/battery-terminals
What Year Is Your Expedition? I went to the dealer with the NHTSA SSM document provided above and they looked it up while I watched. SSM 48123 which says you can replace only the terminal only with part number BT4Z-14450-AA is not applicable to 2017 Expeditions.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What Year Is Your Expedition? I went to the dealer with the NHTSA SSM document provided above and they looked it up while I watched. SSM 48123 which says you can replace only the terminal only with part number BT4Z-14450-AA is not applicable to 2017 Expeditions.
Original owner of 2017 XLT RWD no options.
I don't know anything about a battery monitor being part of the terminal, maybe the limited has it but my terminal does not.
Call Royal power maybe they can answer your ???