2017 Expedition Positive Battery Terminal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing I did when I got my 17 limited home was replace the oem battery with a AGM one. I do that on everything that has electric start now, I hate leaky batteries.

princered72

Reaction score
Ok cleaned my battery terminals last week. Been having a dead battery when I go to start after sitting overnight. Charged the battery and had it checked and it checks out good. Noticed the terminals were covered with green corrosion again so cleaned them and the cable ends again and applied dieletric grease. Also applied some JB weld around the positive terminal as I thought maybe it was leaking through. Went to start today dead battery after sitting overnight and dead again. Battery gauge in dash appears to be showing charging. Next step is to remove alternator and have it checked. Nothing extra or aftermarket plugged in.

princered72

Reaction score
Found out my alternator was going bad so replaced it. WOW! quoted $400 but was able to get some $ off. Installed it and charged the battery but still having a drain issue. Sitting overnight, go to start it and battery is discharged. Just found out about the rear wiper issue but my wiper seems to be working ok.
Starting to do the parasitic draw test but need to get a good multimeter. Read 2 ways to do it. One is to leave battery connected and check the fuses with milli volt setting. Need to make sure the car is asleep. How long does it take for a 2014 is power down?

The other way to check for draw is to disconnect the negative terminal and hook the meter in series on milli amp.
Which is best for these Expeditions? This is getting frustrating

Leslawman

Reaction score
My 2017 Expedition EL has gone through two batteries already due to corrosion on the positive terminal. I checked it yesterday and the THIRD replacement battery has corrosion around the same terminal. These have all been Motorcraft batteries from Ford. What gives???

sandbuster

Reaction score
That’s curious. Can you put up a picture of the terminal? How long does it take for the corrosion to evolve?

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes please provide a picture of the cable terminal off the battery, the battery terminal / top of the battery and the wrap around the battery as I have shown in the pictures in post# 13 of this thread.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have the earlier 3rd gen's Expy's which do not have that terminal but a '15 Explorer that does and had the same problems. Cleaned it several times and coated with die-electric grease. Replaced both the connection and the battery. Problem solved, bought terminal thru rock auto.