2017 fuel tank question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guspech750

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expedition XLT EL. I’ve had it since 2018. I absolutely love it. Back in March we bought a travel trailer. We’ve taken it on 10 trips. Mostly 2-3 hour drives each way. A few 6-7 hour drives each way and we just got back from the Grand Tetons in Wyoming which I drove for 4 days to and from with about 5 to 8 hours of Driving each day.

one thing that bothered me was the fuel tank size. Pulling the trailer averaging 7.5 to 8.5 mpg the 28 gallon fuel tank Empties a bit quick.

My thought was to do a F150 36 gallon fuel tank swap. Has anyone Considered or done such a swap. I’m curious if the 36 gallon tank will fit. I thought I read the 36 gallon tank was about 74 inches long. I suppose I just need to climb under and measure. I would probably need to use Forscan to make adjustments most likely also.

46258AF9-4248-4410-A40A-7DE9FE2FF90E.jpeg

Richard Mickelson

Reaction score
I think you might be out of luck, I recently dropped my fuel tank so that I could replaced the fuel pump on my older 2011 Expedition. The 28 Gallon tank fits so tight when in place that it would appear there would not be enough room to go with a larger tank.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you give it a shot definitely take pictures and post your results. The primary concern is the rear suspension differences between the F150 and Expedition. IRS has more brackets and control arms to interfere with installation relative to leaf springs.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have an "EL" model. So you should already have a 33 gallon tank. The standard Expedition had the 28 gallon tank. If anything, I would just mount a couple 5 gallon Jerry Cans on the travel trailer and use them if you need to.