2017 Limited HD Towing Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased it used with only 15,000 miles on it in Utah and drove it back to Wichita, so I got a good overview of it on day 1. I drive fullsize trucks and Vans for work, and everytime I drive my expedition I'm impressed by the ride and overall driving experience. I've put over 10,000 miles on it in 8 months.

The Good:
As said above, I like driving it. 4 wheel independent suspension has much better road manors than any solid axle setup.
The customizable dash readouts are nice, but limited.
The seats are comfortable, and the 3rd row is easy to use/store with good cargo space.
The engine is quiet, powerful, and overall smooth with only a little V6 shutter at idle.
The Transmission is a workhorse, between personal and work vehicles this is my 5th torque shift and I've had good luck with all of them.
4 wheel drive works well, and 4 auto is decently smooth on engagement in snow/ice.
Towing a 5,000lbs enclosed trailer on multiple highway trips with no issues other than more than expected feedback from the trailer. I've towed the same trailer with 5 vehicles and the expedition is the only one that I can feel the trailer in the steering wheel. It's not a bad feeling, but the slight way the trailer sways on the highway is noticable with every vehicle in the mirrors, but I can feel it with the expedition. My wife can't tell any difference though so I might be overly sensitive to it.

The Bad:
The ride is quiet with just a slight wind noise from the front doors, I only notice it if the radio is off. Now if the front fan is on high there is a loud air leak at the back from the air escaping, it goes away if the back vent windows are opened. I'm going to investigate this further, I haven't checked to see if this is a common issue.
Fuel Mileage: this is the HD Tow package with the 3.73 rear end. I can get 17.5mpg highway at 70mph without the trailer. It's not awful, but I was expecting a little better. Pulling the trailer I get 10-13 depending on the wind. It could have had a higher 6th gear, it could drop 500 rpms and still have plenty of torque for moving down the highway.
Noise in the front while engine is cold, turning to lock, and hitting a bump during low ambient temperatures. I need to get it flashed so the hubs stay locked for 5 minutes after startup.
The first oil change causes some wtf moments.
No actual engine temp on any of the dash readouts. Just Low/Normal/High. They do give the actual trans temp though which is nice.

Wear items replaced:
Factory tires when I got home because they were almost 5 years old according to the date code.
Factory battery because it was leaking and causing lots of corrosion. I've made it a standard practice to put AGM batteries in everything I own because they don't leak.

Modifications:
Bug/rock guard.
Weather Tech mud flaps.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get the coolant temp with Torque and a Bluetooth OBD scanner. It's can also pull codes if you have any issues.

Stability while towing is improved by higher tire pressure.

OP
OP
T

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get the coolant temp with Torque and a Bluetooth OBD scanner. It's can also pull codes if you have any issues.

Stability while towing is improved by higher tire pressure.
It's not a stability issue, more a feedback that something is connected, you can just feel the trailer more with the expedition than with a Ranger, F-150, Transit 250, 07 Explorer, Chevy 1500, or F-250 that I've used to pull the same trailer. It's not a power or braking feeling either, I think it's more of a fully boxed frame with independent suspension and 20 inch rims. This setup is very stiff, so you get more feedback then you would get with a solid rear axle on leaf springs with 17 inch rims. And just for the record, I have 117 load index tires at 45 psi for towing.

Groover

Reaction score
You mentioned the ride is quiet. Can you download a free decibel app onto your phone and measure it? I think my 2016 is quite noisy. I'll measure mine as well. What tires do you now have and what pressure?

MAC1

Reaction score
To the OP, I am towing a 24' enclosed ATC aluminum and loaded its at about 7200lbs. I had a lot of sway issues until I switched over to E rated tires and a Pro Pride hitch. I have been contemplating moving to an F250, how was that truck for your towing experience?

OP
OP
T

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My issue isn't sway, it's just a feedback that I don't notice on the other vehicles. If I was going to pull over 7000lbs with the short wheelbase expedition, I'd definitely get a weight distributing hitch. The F-250 pulls great, but the ride sucks. I drive 3/4 and 1 ton trucks every day for work, I've got no desire to drive one for my personal vehicle anymore unless I get a trailer over 10,000lbs. Not a fan of solid axle fronts for highway driving either.

OP
OP
T

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You mentioned the ride is quiet. Can you download a free decibel app onto your phone and measure it? I think my 2016 is quite noisy. I'll measure mine as well. What tires do you now have and what pressure?
Tires are Pathfinder HT's (hankook makes them for discount tire) at 37-45 psi depending on the current load. I used to buy all terrain's for looks, but the highway tires will do any off-roading I'm going to do with a $45,000 vehicle on 20 inch rims. The ride noise is equal to the F-150 I had, and quieter than my other trucks. There is some slight wind noise around the mirrors at highway speeds, but I only notice it with the radio and fans turned off. The wind noise has always been there on every truck I've ever driven though, so I may be more used to it than someone who is coming from smaller crossovers or cars. I'll get a DB reading of it tonight or tomorrow and report back.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been towing a 3500 lb trailer for 9 years with 2014 Expy LTD, full tow pkg. Best TV I’ve ever owned!

OP
OP
T

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, finally got a chance to drive without kids being overly loud. 70mph with both fans on 3 bars and the reading was 75-79db depending on the road surface. At 45mph it was ~65db and if I accelerated hard it would jump to ~82db. Now this may error high because in a quiet room if I start talking with my wife it reads 75-80db, which according to google, a normal conversation is 60db. A whisper is supposed to be 30db, the lowest I can read in my house is 38db, with the clock tick jumping it to 42db. So this is far from a certified reading, but I'm not buying a certified db meter.

Groover

Reaction score
Thanks! That is the same as mine so I don't have an excessive noise problem which is what I was concerned about. :)