2017 overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronald 456

Reaction score
My 2017 overheating pulling a 4,500 lb. Travel trailer. Never got hot on level ground but once I start up hill it overheats in less then 2 or 3 minutes. Watching Trans. Temp I notice it jumps up to 230 quick, but I never loose any coolest. Had it to the shop twice. It just started this . No dip stick to ck. Transmission oil level.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 overheating pulling a 4,500 lb. Travel trailer. Never got hot on level ground but once I start up hill it overheats in less then 2 or 3 minutes. Watching Trans. Temp I notice it jumps up to 230 quick, but I never loose any coolest. Had it to the shop twice. It just started this . No dip stick to ck. Transmission oil level.

Do you have the HD cooling package? Were you using the tow / haul mode?

What do you feed is overheating - the transmission or the engine (or both).

Does the DIC show an overheat situation - or do you feel it is overheating due to the transmission temperature displayed when you check it via the DIC?

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d start with checking the electric fan and fan relays. I know on my 17 the fans increase speeds as needed all the way up to warp speed. It sounds like it would suck you in through the grille like a jet turbine engine.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dipstick can be accessed from beneath the vehicle. It's under the fluid filler screw. You didn't say what trim you have. Did the vehicle go into limp mode, or are you saying it overheated because of the temps? My camper is 7,000 lbs and I've never had an issue with overheating, even up grades.

OP
OP
R

Ronald 456

Reaction score
The dipstick can be accessed from beneath the vehicle. It's under the fluid filler screw. You didn't say what trim you have. Did the vehicle go into limp mode, or are you saying it overheated because of the temps? My camper is 7,000 lbs and I've never had an issue with overheating, even up grades.
It went in limp mode. Dealer can't find any problem. It has never had a problem in the Mt. Before

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It went in limp mode. Dealer can't find any problem. It has never had a problem in the Mt. Before

By going into limp mode, there has to be one or more trouble codes stored.

What did the dealer tell you about any stored codes?

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles and has the water pump been checked? This gen has a known issue with the pump impeller blades failing above 80,000 miles.