2017 Water Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpyGal

Reaction score
Looking for others who may have experienced the same...

I bought a brand new 2017 Expedition Limited back on March 28, 2017. After only driving it for three days we noticed the carpeting was soaked after driving through a rainstorm. We immediately brought it back to the dealer who found a leak by the driver side rear wheel well where the vehicle had never been welded when it was built. It spent the better part of the next month in the shop being repaired and supposedly dried out. When we did finally get it back, the carpeting was so wet that it was beginning to mold and there was corrosion on the metal surfaces on the interior of the truck. Also, it smelled like a middle school boys gym locker room. On May 4, the vehicle was swapped out under what we thought was the lemon law and replaced with an identical 2017 expedition. It turns out, our dealer handled it as if we were trading in one vehicle and purchasing another. That’s a different conversation for a different day.

About a month and a half into ownership of the second 2017, we came across our first rain storm. To our surprise, the second expedition also leaked water when it rained. Our dealership eventually discovered a leak around the moonroof (not plugged drains) and another leak by the driver side third row window. There was a steady stream of water that came in all the way around the moonroof and another one by that window in the back where there was a wave in the sheet metal. We got it back after it sat at the dealership for over a month and a half having repairs done to it. A couple weeks after we took possession back, it rained again and we realized the leaks were not completely repaired. We returned to the dealership but they refused to even look at it because they said they took it through their car wash and were not able to replicate the problem. I showed them video of the water leaking in as it rained and was able to corroborate this with puddles of water in the wells where the second row latches to the floor to access the third row. After fighting with them for several weeks I found another dealership that was willing to look at it for me. They verified that there were still significant leaks and accepted the vehicle for service. They had it for a few weeks and returned it to me but kept the service ticket open so we could make sure the repair was actually correct this time. It rained that very weekend and we found that the leaks were still there. After the dealer verified with ford that they should be attempting repair again we returned it. Ford put me into a 2017 expedition that they rented from enterprise. In the meantime, I asked ford to evaluate the truck for repurchase.

As luck would have it, it rained while I was driving the rental. To my extreme surprise, this one had a leak too! As I pulled out of my driveway one day my kids screamed at me to stop the truck. I looked back in time to see water pouring in from the a/c vents in the ceiling.

Fast forward to today, I am waiting on paperwork from the reacquired vehicles program. I need to know though, has anyone else had this problem? I’m convinced this is not an isolated incident seeing as I have had three of them with a significant leak. I’m sure there are more of them out there but maybe people don’t know it. If you’re driving one of these 2017 expeditions around, be sure to feel around your carpeting after going through rain. For me, it was most apparent when I put my fingers underneath the carpeting around those wells where you access the third row. The carpeting it self felt dry at times, but either there were puddles in those wells, or you could feel the water in the padding under the carpeting.

I would love to be in contact with you if you had similar experience...

23E8BC1C-443B-4087-8981-FABFBE5208AF.jpeg

A9578ECD-5D6C-4127-9D9C-D5490B59B981.jpeg

E97ACBAF-A0C4-4188-A4DD-5BD635B77C1A.jpeg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Expedition is ten years old now and still dry as a bone every rain storm... carpet still feels and looks brand new and has never been wet like that. i don’t know why some of the new ones are having problems. No way water got in the HVAC runs in the headliner..... kind of calling BS there. That headliner would be totally crinkling up and falling apart and soaked by that time if it got that wet. The water shown in picture 3 is fine, it is not in the cab and just sitting on the well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ExpyGal

Reaction score
Call BS all you want, if I could post the video of it on here I would. And the water in picture number 3 is what drips on me when I drive so no, it’s not fine. You don’t have to be rude, if you have no help to offer just keep scrolling. And for the record, I never had a problem with my ‘97, ‘01, or ‘14-just the ‘17’s.

My Expedition is ten years old now and still dry as a bone every rain storm... carpet still feels and looks brand new and has never been wet like that. i don’t know why some of the new ones are having problems. No way water got in the HVAC runs in the headliner..... kind of calling BS there. That headliner would be totally crinkling up and falling apart by that time if it got that wet.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not being rude at all just trying to think it through, what are you showing in the second picture? So the leaks were occurring around the moonroof and rear window on your unit correct? There have been a few others on here with water concerns... im wondering if Ford cheaped out on weatherstripping. I’m sure more people will chime in but if your truck really has all those leaks it sounds like the path your taking is the correct one on getting ford to take it back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ExpyGal

Reaction score
Corrosion on the interior of the passenger cabin caused by all the moisture.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus you weren’t kidding.... my apologies... that is a textbook lemon...those leaks are serious and i think Ford needs to take that truck back ASAP if they won’t fix it for you. That headliner is getting serious water in it, which is an indication of bad body sealant up above or the moonroof seal that actually seals the unit to the truck is no good. Both of which on a brand new truck are serious repairs and not small jobs.

OP
OP
E

ExpyGal

Reaction score
I don’t think that it’s only a weatherstripping issue. This last go around in the shop found a third leak somewhere in the bed of the body along another seam.
Not being rude at all just trying to think it through, what are you showing in the second picture? So the leaks were occurring around the moonroof and rear window on your unit correct? There have been a few others on here with water concerns... im wondering if Ford cheaped out on weatherstripping. I’m sure more people will chime in but if your truck really has all those leaks it sounds like the path your taking is the correct one on getting ford to take it back.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We have a 17, no issues as far as leaking!

Good Luck! They should be buying back and paying you for your trouble. That is completely uncalled for!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 - purchased new. Although I've had numerous defects repaired under warranty, there has been no water leaks.

My advice to you would be to contact an attorney that specializes in "lemon law" issues in your state.

You've been through too many problems, delays, inconvenience, vehicles switches, etc.

I have gone through two repurchase / buy-back actions with GM - an attorney will get their attention and action for you.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360