2017 Water Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
omg that would suck
but rodents can do some amazing seek and destroy missions
our neighbors KIA ad all its under hood wiring insulation eaten by a squirrel
turns out the insulation is made from SOY instead of petroleum and almost all the cars now have wiring insulated with soy based products. so now the wiring comes infused with capsacian so the critters wont eat it....hilarious
So if you start to get teary eyed while driving, your wiring is starting to fry[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crazy that this old post pops up right when I have issues with my 2017 XLT 4x4 (no sunroof). Heard a lot of sloshing when driving and turning, upon inspection found wet carpet on passenger side front and rear. I pulled the plastic fuse panel cover, then panel it connects to, and the floor panel and found the channel FULL. Does anyone know if water is designed to get in here, and since we’ve had almost 4 inches of rain here over the last 1.5 days, it’s just accumulated faster than it can drain? I would be inclined to think not, since there is a large bloom of wires going from the fuse panel to the rear of the truck. Any insight would be appreciated. Some of the pictures I took after pulling the rubber grommets from the channel to allow draining. The truck is parked on a slight incline in my driveway, maybe a little more than 1 degree according to the “off road” section on the dash.

upload_2019-5-2_9-59-33.jpeg

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Just got wet in my new to me 50K mile 2017 EL at the stop sign at the end of my street about 1/2 cup water dropped on me. If there was a front passenger they would have been soaked with at least a 2 cups of water that dropped out from the cutout for the sunroof. The vehicle was parked in the driveway slight incline. Big rainstorm last night. Rained during the day yesterday vehicle was parked flat no issue. Betting that if it was backed in the driveway I wouldn't have had to turnaround to change this morning. Calling dealer soon.
Are you sure it wasn't anything more than the water that sits in the grooves on the roof? It happened on my 07 and happens on my 17. I make sure I hit the brakes or the gas at least once before I open the roof. I've forgotten once or twice and the wife lets me know it if it goes to her side lol

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn't anything more than the water that sits in the grooves on the roof? It happened on my 07 and happens on my 17. I make sure I hit the brakes or the gas at least once before I open the roof. I've forgotten once or twice and the wife lets me know it if it goes to her side lol

Pretty sure, there was 1-2 inches of water inside that channel, the front passenger door wasn’t opened until I started investigating after hearing water sloshing around, and that carpet was soaked. My wife sat in back with my infant son, she didn’t note any water spilling on her when opening the door, that carpet was soaked in addition to the channel being full.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Pretty sure, there was 1-2 inches of water inside that channel, the front passenger door wasn’t opened until I started investigating after hearing water sloshing around, and that carpet was soaked. My wife sat in back with my infant son, she didn’t note any water spilling on her when opening the door, that carpet was soaked in addition to the channel being full.
I hear you on yours. That was quite a bit of water. I was referring specifically to his. It sounded an awful lot like what I described.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the passenger side getting wet at the door, first check the drain holes in the bottom of your doors. Make sure they aren't clogged. If that happens, water can build up inside the door itself.

Now, open the front door. Check for Stink bugs wedged in and around the weatherstripping. Yes, these nasty buggers can cause leaks! Been there. . .

Next, carefully remove the weatherstrip around the door opening in the body (it just pulls off). Be sure to go all the way around. The weatherstrip has metal inside so it can grip the pinch weld in the sheet metal around the door opening.

As you remove the weatherstrip, check to make sure no portion of it has been pried or left open in such a way that it won't have a tight grip on that pinch weld. Also check the pinch weld itself for metal burrs and remove those with a file (they can keep the weatherstrip from sealing properly). If you scratch through the paint while doing this, be sure to touch it up.

If any portion of the weatherstrip was pried open, gently squeeze it closed again with your fingers. It should be open just enough to fit onto the pinch weld but no more.

Reinstall the weatherstrip, making sure to gently squeeze it fully closed all the way around the opening. It should grip snugly.

You might want to repeat all this for the rear passenger door, just in case. . .

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the passenger side getting wet at the door, first check the drain holes in the bottom of your doors. Make sure they aren't clogged. If that happens, water can build up inside the door itself.

Now, open the front door. Check for Stink bugs wedged in and around the weatherstripping. Yes, these nasty buggers can cause leaks! Been there. . .

Next, carefully remove the weatherstrip around the door opening in the body (it just pulls off). Be sure to go all the way around. The weatherstrip has metal inside so it can grip the pinch weld in the sheet metal around the door opening.

As you remove the weatherstrip, check to make sure no portion of it has been pried or left open in such a way that it won't have a tight grip on that pinch weld. Also check the pinch weld itself for metal burrs and remove those with a file (they can keep the weatherstrip from sealing properly). If you scratch through the paint while doing this, be sure to touch it up.

If any portion of the weatherstrip was pried open, gently squeeze it closed again with your fingers. It should be open just enough to fit onto the pinch weld but no more.

Reinstall the weatherstrip, making sure to gently squeeze it fully closed all the way around the opening. It should grip snugly.

You might want to repeat all this for the rear passenger door, just in case. . .

What do the drains look like/where are they? I found the grommets in the channel, but I wouldn’t want to leave those out. I pulled driver’s side panels and it was only mildly damp in the channel, no standing water, so that must be functioning ok...

Joel Maxfield

Reaction score
I know this post has been around a while but I wanted to follow up as I am experiencing a similar issue. I have a 2017 Expedition EL Platinum that has been having water issues since I bought it band new. My issue is the Back windows is leaking but I can never see it leak, I do however notice it by checking the rear passenger seat belt, its always wet after a rain (Second row not the third row). I have had mine in the shop for over a month for them working on this issue. The first time they never found the issue (1 week). The second time they found the issue and it took them 3 weeks to order parts and replace all the seals, only to have it leak the next day it rained. I have seen that when I park on a incline (uphill) like a driveway or a hill it leaks much more that if I am parked in a flat parking lot. So today I dropped off my Expedition again for them to work on this issue that I am afraid will not be resolved. I am worried I have a lemon but I already have 23k miles on it so I think I might have missed an opportunity to get Ford to buy it back. In MD lemon law is 2 years or 18,000 mile.

Last edited:

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This may sound like a radical suggestion, but have them take the headliner out and leave it out for a while. Then, put the vehicle through all the leak tests. I suspect the plastic headliner -- which is impervious to water -- may be "misdirecting" people by helping to hide the true location of the leak. Wherever water is getting in, it pools and/or runs along the top surface of the headliner until it finds a way out. Thus, where you see water dripping may not be anywhere near where the leak actually is. . .