2017 Water Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS If the leak was coming from a body opening weatherstrip, just because they replaced the seals doesn't mean they fixed the problem. Like I described in an earlier post, the weatherstrip has to be evenly and thoroughly "pinched" in place all around the perimeter of the opening. If they fail to do this, it can potentially let water in at that location -- even with a brand new weatherstrip.

Captain Kirk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Roof rack. Friend had a similar problem in the 16' and I told him to check the roof rack. Silicone around the rack and no problem anymore. He just got a 19 and loves it.

Fedup

Reaction score
Hi, I know this post is older but I have a 2018 with a similar issue. The expedition is a 2018 with 7900 miles on it and is five months old. After a rain storm, the drivers side floor was SOAKED. Water poured out for minutes after opening the door. The dealership has the truck currently and "thinks" they fixed the problem by shaving insulation and drilling new drain holes. I'm worried about rust and mold in the future. Especially if this problem is not actually rectified as there is no true test until it rains. Even the auto body shop is not full convinced it's fixed.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'18+ are likely to be different issues than '17 or older unless it's a moonroof leak. We just discovered a leak in our '18 and think it's from the moonroof.

Fedup

Reaction score
'18+ are likely to be different issues than '17 or older unless it's a moonroof leak. We just discovered a leak in our '18 and think it's from the moonroof.
The first thing they checked was the moon roof and stated it wasn't that. They were disappointed, I guess that would've been the easiest fix?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, in general the most likely source of leaks is a plugged drain tube (there are four of them) coming from the moonroof. Did water get into your door and then into the interior? If so, then look for plugged drain holes in the bottom of the door. If water got into the interior, the first thing I'd check is the moonroof drain tubes, then carefully examine the weatherstripping around the door. I don't know off the top of my head how the 2018 is installed, but for 2017 and older remove the weatherstripping and check that it's evenly "pinched" so that it grips the metal pinch rail around the door opening without any loose spots. Carefully reinstall, making sure it's firmly in place all around. Any areas where it fails to "grab" could allow for a leak.

Finally, also be aware that water can get in somewhere and travel before it's spotted, so the leak might not be anywhere near where you think it is. For my 2009 the headliner was made from plastic and the water was running down the back side and then into a trim molding so the leak was nowhere near where we spotted the water!

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I think I finally tracked down my water leak that I posted about a few months back. It looks to be leaking in through the firewall that the large gauge wire that goes from the battery in the engine bay, to the fuse box inside the cabin. I pulled the boot out and was able to confirm it using a garden hose spraying down my windshield. I tried to put it back in making sure it was sealed all the way around, and added some caulk for good measure. It passed my garden hose test, hopefully it holds up to a heavy rain.

upload_2019-7-27_10-40-24.jpeg

upload_2019-7-27_10-41-5.jpeg

Maybe this will help get anyone with a similar non sunroof leak get headed in the right direction.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I think I finally tracked down my water leak that I posted about a few months back. It looks to be leaking in through the firewall that the large gauge wire that goes from the battery in the engine bay, to the fuse box inside the cabin. I pulled the boot out and was able to confirm it using a garden hose spraying down my windshield. I tried to put it back in making sure it was sealed all the way around, and added some caulk for good measure. It passed my garden hose test, hopefully it holds up to a heavy rain.

View attachment 31323

View attachment 31324

Maybe this will help get anyone with a similar non sunroof leak get headed in the right direction.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. I will check this location to ensure the grommet is seated. Thank you.

Do you think the boot (grommet) was defective, or improperly installed at the factory?

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@99WhiteC5Coupe I’m really not sure. It didn’t look like anything was wrong with it, but was very evident water was dripping in through it when I tested. I tried to reseat it as best I could, it’s a tight space, wasn’t fun trying to add the extra sealant.

ynpmoose

Reaction score
My 16 had a leak from the sat radio antenna. My old Excursion leaked through the roof rack bolt holes. The antenna leak dripped out by the fuse box on the passenger floorboard.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357