2017 Water Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back to the drawing board. I still have some leaking. I got this 2017 XLT with about 50000 miles in January that I’ve been trying to track down a water leak, thought I had it, then found it to still be around. I’ve had water leak in through the firewall (I think) onto the passenger side floor below and near the blower. I added silicone to both the grommet (thought it was through there, at first, maybe it was) that has all the heavy duty wiring going to the fuse box, and what looks like would be the heater (not really sure if it is). Still having an issue. I removed the blower motor because it looked like it was dripping from it and there was some water in there. About at wits end with it, though. I’ve assumed because of the mileage it’s out of warranty for something like this, maybe I should try the dealer anyway. Thanks in advanced with any help.

View attachment 31730

View attachment 31731

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Back to the drawing board. I still have some leaking. I got this 2017 XLT with about 50000 miles in January that I’ve been trying to track down a water leak, thought I had it, then found it to still be around. I’ve had water leak in through the firewall (I think) onto the passenger side floor below and near the blower. I added silicone to both the grommet (thought it was through there, at first, maybe it was) that has all the heavy duty wiring going to the fuse box, and what looks like would be the heater (not really sure if it is). Still having an issue. I removed the blower motor because it looked like it was dripping from it and there was some water in there. About at wits end with it, though. I’ve assumed because of the mileage it’s out of warranty for something like this, maybe I should try the dealer anyway. Thanks in advanced with any help.

View attachment 31730

View attachment 31731
That really sux. The places in your picture are very doubtful to be the problem. They're under your hood and barely get splashed in a torrential down pour if ever. I'd be looking at your heater core. Are you sure it's just water or does it feel a little greasy/oily when you touch it?
How is your a/c drain? Are you sure the condensation is making it out where it should?

Last edited:

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That really sux. The places in your picture are very doubtful to be the problem. They're under your hood and barely get splashed in a torrential down pour if ever. I'd be looking at your heater core. Are you sure it's just water or does it feel a little greasy/oily when you touch it?
How is your a/c drain? Are you sure the condensation is making it out where it should?

It’s only after a heavy rain or when I have a hose run over the windshield, I’ve never noted that it was wet after just running the vehicle around, so I have my doubts about the heater core, but I’ve heard others mention it, so I guess that’s the next avenue to explore. I’m about as far as I can/am willing to go as far as tearing it apart. ‍♂️

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
It’s only after a heavy rain or when I have a hose run over the windshield, I’ve never noted that it was wet after just running the vehicle around, so I have my doubts about the heater core, but I’ve heard others mention it, so I guess that’s the next avenue to explore. I’m about as far as I can/am willing to go as far as tearing it apart. ‍♂️
Have you had someone spray your windshield hard/jet stream around the edge slowly and you watch for the leaking inside? Heater core is easy to tell if you're willing to touch the drip and taste it... Honestly though you'll feel the difference between water and antifreeze if it's a heater core and I doubt you'd spring a leak in it this early. Hard to tell though. Good luck.

Commodore

Reaction score
Well, after 34+K miles, I just had water pour out of the two overhead vents above the second row seats as well (2017 Expedition EL Limited). It was right after a heavy rain storm about 5 days while it was parked on the driveway. As soon as my wife started backing up, water poured out. Definitely some pooling issues. I just pulled it into the garage after another big rain storm and no sign of any pooling. I stuck my fingers through the vent and nothing damp was felt - dry to the bone. I'm sure with that info, the dealership is not going to be able to "replicate it", which means I'd be out of my car for several days with no real fix. I am still going to call them to ask their opinion. You know darn well that Ford has a note in their internal database system that service managers can access. It's whether or not they want to share this known problem and have to eat the cost of covering the maintenance if the vehicle is still under warranty - like mine is for only another 1500 miles! I'll let you all know what my local dealership tells me...

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, after 34+K miles, I just had water pour out of the two overhead vents above the second row seats as well (2017 Expedition EL Limited). It was right after a heavy rain storm about 5 days while it was parked on the driveway. As soon as my wife started backing up, water poured out. Definitely some pooling issues. I just pulled it into the garage after another big rain storm and no sign of any pooling. I stuck my fingers through the vent and nothing damp was felt - dry to the bone. I'm sure with that info, the dealership is not going to be able to "replicate it", which means I'd be out of my car for several days with no real fix. I am still going to call them to ask their opinion. You know darn well that Ford has a note in their internal database system that service managers can access. It's whether or not they want to share this known problem and have to eat the cost of covering the maintenance if the vehicle is still under warranty - like mine is for only another 1500 miles! I'll let you all know what my local dealership tells me...

My understanding of that issue is that it almost certainly requires the headliner to be pulled down/out to locate the true source. Easy location to investigate would be antenna, roof racks, etc. good luck!

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Water pouring into the vehicle is a real b*tch... I've had the same issue on my old Explorer. I resealed all the roof racks, bolts, windshield gasket, etc... and still water would pour in directly over the overhead console. But only sometimes, as some rain storms it was dry as a bone. It was driving me f*****g nuts! :flame:

As for Expeditions, a car evaluator I spoke to recently told me that the Expedition bodies are built to different specs at the factory depending on the trim, with the SSV being the lowest spec of them all (my model). Apparently the SSV's have poor undercarriage welds and are notorious for water / debris infiltration. Mine has sand and dust in the rear quarter panels where the fuel pump reset switch is, indicating this to be true. I haven't seen any water on the floor, though.

So, it is possible that the Ford factory took some SSV bodies they had lying around to build other trims, resulting in the water infiltration some people here seem to have...?

Anywho, this is also the reason why I refuse to own a vehicle with a sunroof : 1 part of actual use for 10 parts of trouble!

Last edited:

Commodore

Reaction score
Well, as anticipated, the dealer shop could not replicate the leak. They said they put the vehicle under the "shower" for almost 5 hours and there was no indication of any leak. The pulled the interior overhead down and did note a loose luggage rack mount, so they tightened that. Good thing is that is cost me ZERO as I brought it in with 35,550 miles on it - just in time before my 36K Mile warranty expired. They also put a note in my record, so if it happens again, I should be covered event if it's after my warranty expires.