2017 with dreaded paint issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a new 2017 Limited in 2018 that had been sitting on the lot for a year. I've owned a few earlier Expeditions over the years and each one had paint issues on the front edge of the hood, the liftgate, or sometimes in both places.

Recently I discovered a tennis ball-sized patch of bubbled up paint on the pillar of the driver's side passenger door. Damn, I was hoping Ford had fixed that by now.

I've read horror stories on this forum from Expy owners getting little or no help from Ford on this issue.
My mileage and age on this vehicle are well under the warranty limits but I dread taking it to my dealer because I'm thinking they will say Ford doesn't cover it.

Any ideas on what I should expect?

thanks, Peter

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you supply a picture of the damage? It doesn’t sound like an aluminum panel correct? That would be the hood or liftgate. If it’s actually the steel pillar they won’t fix it until it has a hole thru it via corrosion warranty. That’s not common at all.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you supply a picture of the damage? It doesn’t sound like an aluminum panel correct? That would be the hood or liftgate. If it’s actually the steel pillar they won’t fix it until it has a hole thru it via corrosion warranty. That’s not common at all.

How do you know Ford will not fix this defect, if the vehicle is still covered under the basic 3-year / 36,000 month warranty? There could be a paint and/or primer and/or metal defect that would be repaired.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you know Ford will not fix this defect, if the vehicle is still covered under the basic 3-year / 36,000 month warranty? There could be a paint and/or primer and/or metal defect that would be repaired.

I’m not sure but hopefully, the corrosion warranty says otherwise. Lots of Expys with bubbling paint in first years of ownership have been told no repair if not perforation or holes. I’d try to get it covered under warranty first too, but doubtful. OP can make his own hole if they deny coverage.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
It doesn't sound like the dreaded aluminum related problem. It just sounds like a factory defect.

This article kind of says it could be covered. Does it not?

The dreaded problem is corrosion based so that's a different animal. It's easy to get the two situations confused.

https://firstquarterfinance.com/ford-paint-warranty/

In the dreaded problem, the only reason the paint comes up and off is the aluminum corrosion under it. The other is a crappy defective paint job that fails and falls off.

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford hasn't fixed shit. They just keep updating the TSB to include the latest model years. Whether or not Ford covers yours is anyone's guess. There's an entire FB group devoted to this problem and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the decision to cover or not when a vehicle is still under warranty.

There was a post today about a 2015 and Ford paid a portion of the bill. The owner sent a demand letter with a threat to sue if Ford did not respond by a certain date. The date came and went and he filed suit as he said he would. Ten days later Ford sent a letter saying they would pay the full amount. Most people have had no luck without going through the courts, but some just get it covered with no argument. Go figure.

Plati

Reaction score
Ford hasn't fixed shit. They just keep updating the TSB to include the latest model years. Whether or not Ford covers yours is anyone's guess. There's an entire FB group devoted to this problem and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the decision to cover or not when a vehicle is still under warranty.

There was a post today about a 2015 and Ford paid a portion of the bill. The owner sent a demand letter with a threat to sue if Ford did not respond by a certain date. The date came and went and he filed suit as he said he would. Ten days later Ford sent a letter saying they would pay the full amount. Most people have had no luck without going through the courts, but some just get it covered with no argument. Go figure.
Are you talking about the aluminum panel paint bubbling issue at front of hood and tailgate ... Or the crappy paint that just falls off in random areas unrelated to corrosion issue?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you talking about the aluminum panel paint bubbling issue at front of hood and tailgate ... Or the crappy paint that just falls off in random areas unrelated to corrosion issue?

The infamous TSB refers to the aluminum panel issue, but the peeling pillars the OP is referring to have been a widespread issue since at least 2014. Ford hasn't done a thing to address either issue.

Plati

Reaction score
The infamous TSB refers to the aluminum panel issue, but the peeling pillars the OP is referring to have been a widespread issue since at least 2014. Ford hasn't done a thing to address either issue.
I see said the blind man. Actually I don't really see because I can't tell what part of your first post applied the OP problem, but your second post was more clear.

I hope the OP takes it back for warranty repair and updates the result here. I don't see how Ford could get away with that. I would get my Very capable Lawyer on that if that happened. Usually a letter from him works wonders.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed, the problem persists. I’m impressed threatening with a Lawyer got that guy anywhere, good for him. Another option if the dealer denies is to give that a try. In general though our crappy common Lawyers are no threat to large companies. Their attitude is “get in line and waste your money, then we will get your case dismissed in a flash”. Remember, Fords lawyers are better than any of ours if you actually get/have a case against them (doubtful).

Last edited: