2017 XLT - safe to tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atomickoolaid

Reaction score
We our currently driving a 2010 Expedition XLT and using it to tow our camper across the country. That thing is a beast, and does great. It had just the 4 pin when we bought it, but we had an aftermarket brake controller installed and they wired in a 7 pin.

But we found a great deal on a 2017 XLT and jumped on it. It did not have a tow pin, so I've had a 7 and 4 pin connected added, and they removed the change holder and wired in the Trailer Brake Module into the dash. Our travel trailer is only 4,000 lbs dry, and we're within the weight ratings for total tow capacity and weight on the axles (front is fine, just barely under capacity on the rear). Going to be buying a WDH to spread the weight onto the front axle, and keep the sway down on the highway in high winds.

But as I realize that I don't have the heavy duty two package on this Expedition, I'm scared that I shouldn't be towing with this car at all. We're ok to tow something in this (relatively) lower weight range with the standard tow capacity/engine/suspension/transmission, right? Please help settle an anxious dad down. Thanks!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the towing guide, which is available online. My recollection is that it's good to tow 6,000 lbs without HD Tow. But there's also a frontal area limitation.

OP
OP
A

atomickoolaid

Reaction score
Now I'm more confused. I have a "15" on the side of my door under axle, which I believe means I have the 3.15 axle ratio. The truck is a 4x4. Looking at the below chart from Ford, they don't even list the 3.15 axle ratio for the 4x4. Am I missing something critical here?

That said, even if I do have the 6,600 lb capacity, I'm well within that for this truck. Might be pushing the frontal area limitation. I'll have to measure next time we're out, but if I'm reading this correctly, I've basically got 6' x 6' of space I can safely tow, and I'm guessing my camper is over that. Unless I';m confused on that part too. I'll be honest, I've never heard of that until now.

Thanks!

1655002017908.png