2017 XLT vs 2018 XLT

2017 vs 2018

• 2017 XLT

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 2018 XLT

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on the 2017 today. Thank you all for your input. It came down to the price of the 2018's vs the price of the 2017. All of the 2018's I looked at had sticker prices near $80K .... and some where $80+.

I paid $59.5K out the door for my 2018 XLT Max with 4WD and leather. I wouldn't have settled for the 2017 myself. Averaging 22MPG+, rides like a limo, it's a very nice truck even without all the extraneous doodads. Sold my '08 XLT for $7.5K, so my net was ~$51K. Very happy with my purchase.

Reaction score
I paid $59.5K out the door for my 2018 XLT Max with 4WD and leather. I wouldn't have settled for the 2017 myself. Averaging 22MPG+, rides like a limo, it's a very nice truck even without all the extraneous doodads. Sold my '08 XLT for $7.5K, so my net was ~$51K. Very happy with my purchase.

Yeah, people underestimate the refinements in the 18. I was very shocked by how smooth the ride is. For a second I had to remind myself that it was not the Navigator.

OP
OP
gtncpa

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I built an XLT Max on the internet. The base cost is $57,485. I need towing so that adds $1,570. Plus destination of $1,295. Ford has a promotion of $3,250 for leased Expeditions. (I would never lease) But I wonder if that is available to purchasers as well... That puts me at 57,100. Add $3,500 for sales tax and it is out the door at $60,600. So $59,500 is not out of the question. I think I would miss all the creature comforts.

Window sticker of the 2017

http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?token=/zu4VaJ/crb5AHojbpraF8USRx6GRx1fQ12lciCOg4vClY8NyZEU7N5qtQYf3IBiAEn3x/IKC4hQqHL+O7NVnyhRfrzbsP+8mbYP/drXzfToeK0j4mgUaxRuGXpsRLkKzE4cbZ0qRqMRydmQIm/6HppweKrHKEfbppqoy16HSP0=

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I built an XLT Max on the internet. The base cost is $57,485. I need towing so that adds $1,570. Plus destination of $1,295. Ford has a promotion of $3,250 for leased Expeditions. (I would never lease) But I wonder if that is available to purchasers as well... That puts me at 57,100. Add $3,500 for sales tax and it is out the door at $60,600. So $59,500 is not out of the question. I think I would miss all the creature comforts.

Window sticker of the 2017

http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?token=/zu4VaJ/crb5AHojbpraF8USRx6GRx1fQ12lciCOg4vClY8NyZEU7N5qtQYf3IBiAEn3x/IKC4hQqHL+O7NVnyhRfrzbsP+8mbYP/drXzfToeK0j4mgUaxRuGXpsRLkKzE4cbZ0qRqMRydmQIm/6HppweKrHKEfbppqoy16HSP0=

I don't miss any of those creature comforts. I would never buy a sunroof, for instance. Why would I pay somebody to cut a big hole in my roof? Did you know that the panoramic sunroof actually reduces the weight carrying capacity of the roof rack? Makes sense, and it also is less safe. There are many reasons to buy the 2018 over the 2017, new engine, transmission, aluminum body, etc, etc. No way I'd settle for a 2017, the 2018 is vastly superior.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you assume "new" is good? When my money's on it, I prefer tried and proven technology. But that's an engineer's thinking, not a consumer's.

A lot of people just listen to marketing/ advertising and get hyped up. Every generation of vehicle seems “vastly superior” to the last, then they all start to blend in with each other as they age. Sure the 18’ is nice but it’s not “vastly superior”, at least I don’t think so. Then again I don’t think the 3rd gen expy is superior to the 2nd gen like everyone said when it was released, they kind of blend in together now don’t they? Aluminum body superior to steel? Nah, cheaper and less strong.

Last edited:

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When did the price of aluminum drop? I'm not assuming anything. The improvements in the 4th generation are real. My new one is more powerful, by about 25%, and much more fuel efficient. This tank is 23.1MPG, vs maybe 16MPG in my 2008. It's 16" longer, so a lot more cargo capacity, yet weighs the same.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did the price of aluminum drop? I'm not assuming anything. The improvements in the 4th generation are real. My new one is more powerful, by about 25%, and much more fuel efficient. This tank is 23.1MPG, vs maybe 16MPG in my 2008. It's 16" longer, so a lot more cargo capacity, yet weighs the same.

Sounds like your comparing a standard length 4X4 2008 to a Extended length 2WD 2018, not even a viable comparison in the least. Was the 08’ in perfect tune? Your not getting 23 MPG in a 4X4 unless your computer is wrong. Sure the gen 2 ecoboost is more powerful and fuel efficient, but at the end of the day it’s an aluminum motor with plastic valve covers and oil pan with even more boost. It’s not going to last as long as a big V8, or likely gen 1. Superior to you and me mean very different things. I find a Super Duty with its “inefficient” big cast iron V8 and conventional axles/ leaf springs vastly superior to your SUV with none of the above. Plus it’s a way more versatile and capable vehicle, what now? And those average 12-15 MPG btw....

Just giving you an attitude check, superior means different things to everyone.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not the material, its the vehicle. When you are spending 60k for a truck, you want to feel like thats what your getting. Ill tell you, in my personal experience, i would not pay 65k for the 17my. As much as i wanted to, i didnt see the value in purchasing one, and my thoughts were validated with every vehicle i tested before and even now after i acquired my current truck.

The 3rd gen is a nice piece, but j has the right idea of keepin his 07. After 2012, the 3rd gen became an afterthought, and the my15 model didnt change that. Its interior was dull, cheap and confining, tech outdated(as much as some ppl here complain, tech is autodom now), efficiency lacking esp with the 5.4, and design is butch but drab and ungainly. The avg transaction price for a new 3rd gen for my17 was 60k, but interior was no better than a ford fiesta.

The 4th gen has more interior space, better packaged, more user friendly features, same truck like capabilites, more refined, safer and far more efficient. All this and thats b4 the tech amd an aluminum body.

I think ford was smart with this trucks basics, cheap in some areas but i understand why. The last gen expy wouldnt have lasted now, and i honestly dont see what ford couldve done any different than whats out. Yes its new and has problems, but all expys had shit load of problems on retooled models. The 03 and 07 expys stayed in shops due to issues and were derided for their new looks at the time, ford ironed em out and they are beloved and bulletproof. The same will be done with the 18 and newer expys. The design may not mesh with some ppl, its the design language that every single truck in its class follows. It may look and do things like a minivan or crossover, but why not offer what those products offer in a vehicle that people love, but in a vehicle they wanna be seen in(esp in plat and fx4 trim). Yall can hate, but you cant lie, it is a better product and more importantly, what the current market is looking for in a car. All these posts and noone can say what any older model expy could do better than the one out now.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh well, disagreements are life. Just saying Paddler laying into the OP for buying a 17’ is uncalled for. Vehicles are a rapidly depreciating asset, who cares..... the 17’ likely was a wiser financial decision....one day they will all be reduced to rubble and rot away in a yard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360