2017 XLT vs 2018 XLT

2017 vs 2018

• 2017 XLT

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 2018 XLT

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was a bit late to this party. My first post was added after the OP said he'd already bought the 2017. I wasn't insulting anybody's choice of vehicles. I merely offered the opinion that I prefer the improved 2018 platform, and think the current drive train is the best available in the large SUV class. The added port injectors eliminate the intake valve problem, and the engine is both more powerful and fuel efficient. The new trans yields better matching of gearing to load, so improves responsiveness and economy. The aluminum body is lighter and won't rust. I don't care at all about heated seats, or navigation, or fancy wheels, or the other bells and whistles that add significant cost. Another example is the larger wheels, which make the CCD almost mandatory. The standard suspension with 18" wheels rides nice. Not having the tow package saves money and means you can get the 3.15 final drive, which can only help mileage. My boat only weighs 3800#, so it pulls just fine. You can tart these things up adding $25K in goodies, but I don't see the value.

OP
OP
gtncpa

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did not take offense ... not like he was making fun of my children ... or my Mustang! LOL My Father would have made the purchase Paddler did. His entire life he would walk into a dealer and want the advertised car. He would always say ... "I want the strippy" Meaning the one with all the goodies stripped out of it. He still misses his 1970 Bronco and his mid 70's F100 (or was it 150) He thinks Expeditions are nothing more than a modern station wagon. And don't get him started on 4 door pickups priced at $70K+. My Dad ... in his own words ... is a simple man. A pickup truck must be able to push snow, have locking hubs, pull his fishing boat, have a gun rack, fit a 4X8 piece of plywood in the bed with out any drama ... and maybe a radio.

The MyFord Touch befuddles him.

I am picking up my Expedition tonight. My schedule has not allowed me to get it sooner. Photos will follow!!!!

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did not take offense ... not like he was making fun of my children ... or my Mustang! LOL My Father would have made the purchase Paddler did. His entire life he would walk into a dealer and want the advertised car. He would always say ... "I want the strippy" Meaning the one with all the goodies stripped out of it. He still misses his 1970 Bronco and his mid 70's F100 (or was it 150) He thinks Expeditions are nothing more than a modern station wagon. And don't get him started on 4 door pickups priced at $70K+. My Dad ... in his own words ... is a simple man. A pickup truck must be able to push snow, have locking hubs, pull his fishing boat, have a gun rack, fit a 4X8 piece of plywood in the bed with out any drama ... and maybe a radio.

The MyFord Touch befuddles him.

I am picking up my Expedition tonight. My schedule has not allowed me to get it sooner. Photos will follow!!!!

Sounds like your Dad and I have a lot in common. I never really liked my 2008 that much. I bought it used, a leaseback, because the interiors in the 2010 were so crappy. Somebody said they were like a Fiesta, I thought they were like a 1964 Falcon. People who lease cars don't maintain them the way I do. There was some varnish on the dipstick which I took to mean the oil hadn't been changed according to schedule.

I tow my boat with my new one, fill it with decoys for duck hunting locally and goose hunting in Canada, and, because I bought the Max, a 4x8 sheet of plywood will fit flat in the back. I shovel my own snow manually with a shovel, though, no snow blower.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See I guess we all have different tastes, I like my 3rd gen interior, but then again I like the Super Duty interior that’s it’s based on. I never understood how the expy got ridiculed for its interior design but the Tahoe was praised for its “beautiful and elegant new design” quote. Maybe it’s who was paying magazines more money that year. 07-14 vs 07-14 from both I don’t think they are comparable. Here is Fords top line King Ranch vs Chevy LTZ....While the 18’ interior is undoubtedly an improvement I don’t get the hate for the 3rd gen, it was great for the competition at the time. To me the chevy looks plain Jane, boring, and cheap....but the auto editors didn’t think so.

E87CD17D-5C1A-46A8-A408-D4E93A208B1E.jpeg
F986247B-CDD8-41E6-9385-393DCFEA9EF6.jpeg

Super Duty which 3rd gen is based off (for comparison)
DADEBF2D-89B1-461D-8D62-76B8474408F6.jpeg

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At the time(mid 2000s), american vehicles were derided for their perceived quality and blocky design. The europeans started using more of a pleasing, flowy, almost fluid design language for their vehicle interiors. The japanese were lauded for material quality and logical control placement. The gm suvs took that from their european designs and made a vehicle with aesthetically pleasing interior. This worked in their favor because the gm swles took off from this point. For the price point, the expy looked too truck like, esp coming from the brilliant design of the 2nd gen(which gm took a huge influence for above gen interior amd ext) however quality longterm, the 3rd gen ford interior is a huge step fwd from the 3rd gen gms. Its funny how the 3rd gen expy is supposed to be based on the super duty interior but the expy came out almost 2 yrs before hand.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d assume Ford coordinated the interiors a few years prior to any of the models releases. Sales did take off for ford in 2007 with the 3rd gen despite what the auto journalists said. It was the first in its segment to have a 6 speed transmission as well, and ford boasted that. This likely helped boost sales a bit too. For the longest time a 3 speed gearbox with overdrive was the norm......we are talking 20+ years! Now we are up to 10 speeds!

Last edited:

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See I guess we all have different tastes, I like my 3rd gen interior, but then again I like the Super Duty interior that’s it’s based on. I never understood how the expy got ridiculed for its interior design but the Tahoe was praised for its “beautiful and elegant new design” quote. Maybe it’s who was paying magazines more money that year. 07-14 vs 07-14 from both I don’t think they are comparable. Here is Fords top line King Ranch vs Chevy LTZ....While the 18’ interior is undoubtedly an improvement I don’t get the hate for the 3rd gen, it was great for the competition at the time. To me the chevy looks plain Jane, boring, and cheap....but the auto editors didn’t think so.

View attachment 27259
View attachment 27258

Super Duty which 3rd gen is based off (for comparison)
View attachment 27260

The interior in my 2008 Expedition XLT sucked, cheapest plastic imaginable. Not at all like the photos you shared.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrads on the purchase. Hope it brings many years and miles of enjoyment.

Glad to see you got a 2018 set of wheels after all....
3.jpg

Last edited: