2018-2021 3.5L Ecoboost Expedition Exhaust Leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RABAYL01

Reaction score
All, I am starting to notice a slight (slight enough to smell) exhaust leak in the cabin of my 2019 Expedition. The Cam Phasers Recall was just performed 4 weeks ago. I have 25k miles on the truck. I sense the exhaust smell when I am sitting still on a stoplight, stop sign, etc. Of course, I disregard any exhaust smells coming from any vehicle with a bad exhaust in front of me. So I gauge the smell there is no vehicle in front me. Once I start driving, the airflow going through the engine bay makes the cabin air smell normal. Once I stop again (and again with no car in front of me), that is when I smell the exhaust when the engine bay air is stagnant.

I am do not think the Cam Phaser recall would cause any of this but I want to make sure this truck is safe to drive for my young family.
Additionally, I just called the dealer and they will do a smoke leak test.

Has any else experience any exhaust leaks that would translate to the cabin?

realneonlady

Reaction score
Did you get this resolved? My 2018/65k miles had the cam phaser “fix” about 2 months ago, and now I have a noticeable exhaust leak that came on as you described. Tomorrow I have to call it in, it’s just too smelly.