2018-2021 vs 2022 Expedition Max?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dlcorbett, thanks! I've been trying to find a published source for weeks now.

According to the order guide, there's no upgrade path to the Copilot 360 Active, which is a Platinum exclusive feature ("Active" is BlueCruise). And per the above, no highest-output on the Platinum is available.

So we're in a screwed up mid cycle refresh where there's no Max Timberline, no ability to get the 440 HP on the Platinum, no ability to get BlueCruise on a Timberline or Stealth/Stealth+. What a messed up combination of features.

I'm going with the Platinum Max. Livernois is down the street and can deal with the HP issue.

Perfect and perfect solution to get above 440HP. Even a mild tune really wakes up the Ecoboost.

steeltoe

Reaction score
I can't afford any of these, but I'm super disappointed with how the 4th gen grills look. They remind me of a 2nd or 3rd gen Windstar. Everything pre-2015 has the front end looking like a truck, after that they start looking like big vans. Its a relief the 2022 Timberline is finally looking like a truck again.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
dlcorbett, thanks! I've been trying to find a published source for weeks now.

According to the order guide, there's no upgrade path to the Copilot 360 Active, which is a Platinum exclusive feature ("Active" is BlueCruise). And per the above, no highest-output on the Platinum is available.

So we're in a screwed up mid cycle refresh where there's no Max Timberline, no ability to get the 440 HP on the Platinum, no ability to get BlueCruise on a Timberline or Stealth/Stealth+. What a messed up combination of features.

I'm going with the Platinum Max. Livernois is down the street and can deal with the HP issue.
You have NEVER had the HO in the Platinum, it was ALWAYS an uptuned version of the non-HO. Only the Navi saw the HO. The non-HO is capable of more power at the top end because of a higher compression ratio with all stock components when tuned. Livernois's Trans tuning on the 10 speed is TERRIBLE. Trust me. Go with somebody else, ZFG, 5*. Because these have Sync 4, they might have the harder to crack PCM(Yet to be determined), because all others with Sync 4 that is the case(150, Bronco). In that case LMS might be your only option, as they are the only tune on the market for the 21+ 150's.

Ford offers the Bluecruise on Lariat 150's as an option(I own one), basically the same as the Limited Expedition in Specs. I see no reason that it won't be an option in the future, the order guides, are just that. Let's see what the configurator allows when it becomes available.

The fact that the HO is in the Expedition at all, is Ford showing some love to the Expy, for those that aren't going to tune. The 21 Limited 150(Equivalent to Platinum on Expedition) actually no longer has the HO motor like the 2020's did, so the Expedition is winning on that front.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have NEVER had the HO in the Platinum, it was ALWAYS an uptuned version of the non-HO. Only the Navi saw the HO.
That's interesting. I'd always assumed that the Navi was just an uptuned Expedition. You're saying that the Timberline (etc.) will have a physically different engine, and not just an uptune?

As for BlueCruise, the order guide already says what options are available on which trim, without the need for the configurator. If it's not the order guide, it can't be ordered, and 360 Active is only on the Platinum. I would have loved to go Limited/Stealth instead, but adding Active wasn't a possibility. Bummer.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's interesting. I'd always assumed that the Navi was just an uptuned Expedition. You're saying that the Timberline (etc.) will have a physically different engine, and not just an uptune?

As for BlueCruise, the order guide already says what options are available on which trim, without the need for the configurator. If it's not the order guide, it can't be ordered, and 360 Active is only on the Platinum. I would have loved to go Limited/Stealth instead, but adding Active wasn't a possibility. Bummer.
Yep. The HO Motor has a few small physical differences, and I honestly don't know what all they are other than Pistons and Compression. All I know is that my Tuner said that Tune only the Non-Ho is capable of more power.

The order guides have been wrong in the past...just saying. They are not the end all be all. Also the 21 150's haave entered Job2 like my truck. It had Bluecruise at delivery, where as those that paid for the prep package don't have it, and probably won't get it until early 22. Ford changes things midstream.

Knut

Reaction score
Pretty cool you still can get all those features in the XLT trim! Plus I’m guessing a higher payload than the limited and platinum trims.
Yes, only one person (at least what I've seen) on this forum has listed a higher payload than what I got.
I think his was also an XLT. I think his was 1804 lbs and had Captains chairs in second row.
The panoramic roof window adds a lot of weight by itself. All those little add-ons add up and also larger wheels weigh more.

battlewagon

Reaction score

This is exactly how I see it. I originally started looking at the '21, decided to wait for the '22, and now just a bunch of new annoyances. I will probably end up going platinum, but I am also considering the Yukon XL. The AT4 is pretty damn cool.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, only one person (at least what I've seen) on this forum has listed a higher payload than what I got.
I think his was also an XLT. I think his was 1804 lbs and had Captains chairs in second row.
The panoramic roof window adds a lot of weight by itself. All those little add-ons add up and also larger wheels weigh more.

It's just a number

It won't magically turn into a pumpkin if you overload it by a few hundred pounds

Knut

Reaction score
It's just a number

It won't magically turn into a pumpkin if you overload it by a few hundred pounds
That’s true.
However, if you are ever in an accident and they can prove the vehicle was grossly overloaded, like I see Expeditions and F-150s are every summer at the campgrounds; good luck getting insurance to cover it.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s true.
However, if you are ever in an accident and they can prove the vehicle was grossly overloaded, like I see Expeditions and F-150s are every summer at the campgrounds; good luck getting insurance to cover it.

Maybe if you're hauling 100 packages of flooring or something, or towing a trailer with 8 passengers

But that's for +>1000 lbs cases, not +/- 100 lbs stuff