2018 42K Miles 3rd set of Phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You lost me about halfway through...

I've had them replaced 2 times already potentially going back for a third after 3 weeks of having the second ones done. I think what you are trying to say is if the phasers are on the high or low side of the tolerances the internal block passage variance will always cause them to break.
They are operated by oil flow, at least they did on the 5.4l v8's. I have read that one of the fixes was to have higher flow / higher pressure oil pumps. There are videos online that describe how they work. The cold start rattle was caused by the nylon? locking pin breaking causing the phasers to rattle until oil pressure built up, then they would act normally. I would assume the design hasn't changed much since then.

From an engineering perspective you could have a bad phaser which would be fixed by replacing it, but if multiple phasers fail it would seem likely it is a block issue. I have no specific knowledge about it, just making an educated guess.

OP
OP
F

freitz

Reaction score
They are operated by oil flow, at least they did on the 5.4l v8's. I have read that one of the fixes was to have higher flow / higher pressure oil pumps. There are videos online that describe how they work. The cold start rattle was caused by the nylon? locking pin breaking causing the phasers to rattle until oil pressure built up, then they would act normally. I would assume the design hasn't changed much since then.

From an engineering perspective you could have a bad phaser which would be fixed by replacing it, but if multiple phasers fail it would seem likely it is a block issue. I have no specific knowledge about it, just making an educated guess.

Thanks for explaining further - That makes sense.

Anyone give GM Tahoe or Yukon a go? I've been a ford guy for a long time but looking to trade this vehicle in at this point.

Started reading up on the Sequoia, turned off by the Rusty frame issues.

OP
OP
F

freitz

Reaction score
It seems that right now all Ford is admitting to is 2018-april 2019 cam phaser issues.

Thought about rolling the dice again on a 2020 model but definitely don't want to be sitting here again in another 40k miles.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, and I'm not a fan of the engines/tranny's in this or even some of the Nissan/Infinity's for example. They need to modernize the 5.7 and 5.6, heck, I wish Nissan/Infinity would do a Cummins TD in say the QX80. that's a nice modern interior and their service is pretty awesome, always have loaners, essentially the Lincoln style care but you can get those sometimes for less than a Lincoln.

The engine and tranny were some or the primary reasons I went with this rig, and now I'm worried! I swear I researched these things a ton and never saw a ton of negative marks, most of the major magazines and sites gave it pretty good reviews. Maybe it was so new the issues weren't cropping up.

Infiniti is junk nowadays. We had a M45x Premium and loved it. Transmission went at 140K and we scrapped the car. It wasn’t worth fixing. It wasn’t even 10 years old, and MSRP was $70K. The QX80 uses the same transmission. I guess they are a unique design that makes rebuilds a bit more specialized. It was a phenomenal car when it was running. Infiniti service in Chicago area at Fields was bonkers good. Grand Rapids, MI Infiniti sucked. Damaged the dash during a recall repair of the airbags. We ******* until they replaced the entire dash. Cost $3,500 and took them weeks. At first they gave us a loaner, then as time wore on they asked for it back. Then when we got the car back the dash suddenly lit up light a Christmas tree and the gauges stopped working. They paid to flat bed to back across town, where they disassembled again and plugged connectors in better.

The QX80 is an ancient design in itself, with poor 3rd row space and luggage space behind the 3rd row. We were all dead set on a QX80 until the M45x trans went, and saw how horrible the space was in the QX. It really is an inferior vehicle to the Expedition.

OP
OP
F

freitz

Reaction score
Ford Quick Tips #74: 5.4L 3v Phaser Oscillation and Knocking Noise Explained

So 5W30...

and its the EPA's fault

I've had all those parts replaced twice already. Issue is still coming back so its clearly the pump and the oil based on that video. Honestly shouldn't have to bother with it.

C Trost

Reaction score
Does anyone have a short video or sound clip of this phaser noise/rattle. Does it occur on 2010 3 valve 5.4L ?