2018 bilstein shock replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ngravier

Reaction score
Hi, I am am new to the forum. I've actually been following for the last year, but just created an account recently. I have followed the threads about leaking shocks and cold start noises.

These are two issues with my expedition I am currently experiencing. I have atleast 2 shocks leaking and the motor seems to be making slight noises upon startup. The shocks inwould like to replace with bilstein, but am having trouble finding part numbers and exactly what I want. The motor noises I have ruled out as cam phasers and possibly an exhaust rattle that has been common with these motors.

What i would like to know is what shocks would everyone recommend? I am just going to replace with aftermarket since motorcraft shocks seem to be a weak spot with the expedition and my dealer is over an hour away.

I would like to go with bilsteins. From my understanding, the 5100 and 4600 are the exact same valving just a little different in size. I dont want to add any extra height and am going for functionality over looks since this is the family vehicle. I am having trouble finding any for 18+ expeditions. There are lots for the older models and I have read about guys here purchasing front for the f150. What do you guys recommend and thanks again!

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the ride like compared to stock? Does it stiffen it up on dirt roads and more control on the highway? Thank you
5100 if you want to lift it a little. A lot of f150 guys recommend the 4600s as stock replacement if you’re towing. Personal preference really. If your not towing I would do 5100

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the ride like compared to stock? Does it stiffen it up on dirt roads and more control on the highway? Thank you

I did it in two stages. I did the front 1st and it was a vast improvement over the stock ride. It was less bouncy. Granted my fronts were both leaking and one only would move half way. I noticed very little difference on the rear. I only drive on pavement.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Speaking from my 2014......

i had a leaking rear and a jacked up front factory shocks. I replaced them with 5100 height adjustable shocks. I set mine to the highest position. Resulting ride is firmer, but more controlled. It doesn’t ride like a Cadillac but it’s not supposed to.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
I run 4600s on my 2013 and the ride is a little stiffer and the handling is better. 5100s are for adjusting for lift.

OP
OP
N

Ngravier

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the responses. I think I am going to go with the 5100s as I cannot find a part number for the 4600. If it were my daily driver and not my wife's I would set all 4 on the highest setting and add rim's and tires. Because it is my wife's daily driver will keep it close to stock.

I am also wondering about recommendations on tires for the 20" inch wheels. I would like to go with either bf Goodrich all terrains or nitro ridge grappler. Does anyone have any experience with these and how they are compared to the stock highway tires?

Thank you

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws
They are nice and quiet for as aggressive as they are.

If you want something slightly less aggressive Continental TerrainTrac ATs