2018 Brake Pad Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 45000 miles on my 2018 and the rear pads are in the "red", front in "yellow" as noted by service tech during oil change. While I can likely get more mileage out of them, I'm going to go ahead and have them replaced by the Ford dealer here in Yuma.

I'm curious what other 2018 owners are seeing on brake wear. I think 45K miles is pretty good life, though on my other cars, it seems the front pads wear faster than the rear.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree it seems weird the rear are going first. I think 50k to 60k is about the norm for stock pads.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Due to the traction control, I am seeing lots of vehicles going through rear pads faster than front. Rear are usually smaller in size too.

Anyway, you probably won't be happier with standard pads from the parts store. The ford oem pads are pretty good. On my jeep I put ebc pads on and felt a nice improvement in braking but they wear faster than oem too and dust WAY more, this is with both greens and yellows.

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hard to say how the previous owner drove. It was a leased unit to a salesperson according to the records. Had to be quite a bit of highway miles, but I know some folks driving/braking traits can be hard on brakes.

Interesting to hear that others are also seeing rear wear faster - may well be the brake assist logic?

Anyway, definitely agree with using FordHouse brake pads and them doing the service. When it comes to brake parts, cheaper isn't the right choice IMHO. I'm guessing these will get me to the 100k mark.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the pre-ABS days vehicles were biased to the front due to weight shift. This gave the best braking for most vehicles, but not so for loaded SUV's and trucks. With the advent of ABS it is now possible to bias more to the rear to compensate for vehicles that can carry heavier loads. This allows better breaking when the vehicles are loaded. When they are not loaded the ABS system can compensate by preventing the back wheels from locking while braking and allowing the front brakes to do the majority of the work. It is the best option for optimal braking under all conditions. The result is higher wear on the rear pads.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My last 4 large SUVs all wore out the rears before the fronts, and that goes back to a 2008 model year. As mentioned above, I have read that traction control and stability control had something to do with it, along with just better braking system design overall giving more even proportioning of the brakes.

I can remember my '99 GTP went through front pads every 20k miles. I didn't change the rears until around 80k.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with EBC pads and rotors on stuff. Usually always go with them or Oem.

Drew47000000

Reaction score
I had my 2012 f150 for 6 years and put about 80k on it. In that time the only brakes I replaced were the rear pads somewhere around the 50-60k mark. I thought it was strange too so glad to hear I’m not alone.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't believe their red yellow crap.
They always say the have less than they do.
Look for yourself or take the wheel off and so you can easily see the inner pad too.
Most brakes are changed with 20k-30k miles left in them.

Last edited: