2018 Expedition LED headlight conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex Lou

Reaction score
Have any of you installed LED headlight conversions? Is it easy? Any particular brand that's recommended? I got spoiled by my Lariat's LEDs and want them on my new Expedition XLT. I am a little concerned about voiding the warranty though. Thanks.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres a few threads with members who switched out their halogen bulbs with leds. The most popular(and only) method is pretty buying and switching the bulbs, theres no aftermarket units with the led strip available at the moment. It doesnt take long at all as long as you have the right sized wrenches to take off the front wheel well covers. Cant rele tell you about brands, but can tell you do not go cheap, i bought cheap leds for my headlights and rearview mirrors, headlight bulb went out in 4 mnths and mirrors and dull, and flicker. Had to buy new headlight bulbs, but mirrors are harder to change so let them be.

A B man

Reaction score
The 2018 Ford Expedition Platinum comes with LED Front/head AND rear/tail lights .. however, my 2018 XLT FX4 didn't .. I am also curious if it is just a bulb replacement OR the LED light fixture is different .. anyone know the details as to what it would take to get the same LED light setup as the Platinum? Is it as simple as getting a different bulb? OR do you need to purchase a new lens enclosure? I would not think there is any changes or adjustments to fuses or wires? anyone have an idea???..

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can’t change to the led oem headlights easily. Lots of changes and expensive parts. I can’t wait to Just sell this thing and buy the navigator. Much better lighting. Oem halogen headlights in the expedition are dangerous.

pgonza2723

Reaction score
So I've used the Xenon Depot kit for several years now one a few different vehicles. The one on my 2012 XLE Camry has been trucking away for 3 trouble free years. It's all quality parts and relatively cheap ($160). The difference between the stock halogen 9005's (1700 lumens) is considerable (HID 9005 @ 5000k 3100 lumens). Getting them installed wasn't hard, just had to find a place to mount everything, but they provide double sided tape as well. I ended up mounting the ballast under the air intake for the driver's side and on the fuse box on the passenger. I am not using the DRL function as I want to extend the life of the bulbs by not having them on all the time. If you are unhappy with the light output stock, I would give this kit a serious look. I haven't tried their LED option, but based on the lumens output from all the LED kits I've seen (even theirs), not to mention positioning the heat sinks that are attached to the bulbs, I believe the HID option is a better upgrade....not to mention cheaper.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can’t change to the led oem headlights easily. Lots of changes and expensive parts. I can’t wait to Just sell this thing and buy the navigator. Much better lighting. Oem halogen headlights in the expedition are dangerous.
Not saying you're wrong but I think we're just all spoiled to Great headlights. When the first halogens came out they were a world better than what I grew up on I'm drove in my teen years. When the first Ford trucks got redesigned around 1990 or 92 the headlights were so bright people complained all the time that they were blinding others but man you could see just fine. Now people on the forums say those headlights weren't that great. I thought those headlights were awesome. We have a 2000 Expedition and they're quite yellow and hazy and it still has awesome headlights. I really think we're just spoiled with some of the great lights out there.
My 03 Navigator has HIDs and they are the best headlights of any car I've ever owned because HIDs Rock. But then people tell me that those are nothing compared to what else is out there and by today's standards. How much light do we need to drive a car down the road?
I think if you're coming from my 99 town car with OEM headlights or Ebay replacement headlights and 9007 bulbs or whatever number they are, a new Expedition has wonderful headlights.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's less the operation of the lights and more the design of the headlight. On both std and opt expy headlights, there are protrsuions surrounding the lenses im guessing to help focus the beam of light. However, atleast on the std halogens, the cutoff height is way too low compared to your driving sight line, making it hard to see in low light conditions. The halogens worked fine, not great though. Coming from an 09 nav, they were plain ****** and the nav illuminated at your sightline as well. I put led bulbs in mine, at night they are fantastic, but during storms or similar, its extremely hard to see. Thats more of a design flaw than anything. Idk if its the same as with the oem leds during a storm. I did test drive one with those oem led lights at night, atleast on a clear night they wrked better than my leds now.

Dscustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s not spoiled by great headlights, it’s a $60-70k truck in 2018 that still comes with poorly designed halogen headlights. They have great led and hid headlights in cars that cost $20k. Why they couldn’t make a quality beam pattern and at a minimum hids as standard is beyond comprehension. We should never be comparing headlights on a brand new vehicle to 20 yr old cars.

taaangy234

Reaction score
Anyone has a picture of before and after with HID shot of the headlight beam on the wall at 20'? I have a lighting guru for years, I sell HID and LED. I never suggest anyone put LED in halogen projector due to the fact the LED design to have two LED on each side and the heatsink, you don't get the complete 360 light output to oppose to a standard halogen or HID bulb works the same way but brighter. Yes LED will works, brighter than halogen, but the beam may decrease, you may have the best output with HID route. If you want to go LED, you'll need to do the whole LED projector retrofit from another OEM pull.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360